DVD player options...

Joe Shmoe

For someone who isn't into SACD or DVD-A would purchasing the Denon 1910 be a good choice? I really liked the 2900 or 2910 myself but my cousin isn't quite the audiophile I am so I would think it would be just a waste of money to get "an all in one" player like those mentioned right? The 2900 can be purchased now for $600.00, but the 1910 has a MSRP of $269.00. I pasted the specs below. The difference I see right away would be the choice of either the Silicon or Faroudja decoding engine.

Progressive Scan/Scaling DVD Player Powered by the new DCDi by Faroudja FLI-2301 Decoding Engine Dual, discrete 54 MHz, 10 bit Video D/A Conversion system (1) each for Progressive and Interlaced outputs) (1) DVI-D (HDCP) Output with selectable 480p/720p/1080i output (1) each - Component Video, Composite and "S" outputs Variable Black Level (Setup): 0 and 7.5 IRE Passes below-black (PLUGE) on progressive and interlace outputs 2X DVD read speed; 4X CD/CD-R/CD-RW read speed; with 2MB drive buffer memory MP3 and Windows Media Audio (WMA 9) Playback Plays Audio/Video CDs; DVD-R/RW; DVD+R/RW(conditional); Audio CD-R; Audio CD-RW; Decoders for MP3 (128kbps or greater recommended) and WMA-9 (64 ~ 160kbps) CD-R/RW & DVD +/-R/RW discs JPEG photo file viewer, Kodak Picture and Fujicolor CD compatible Anamorphic Scaling for 4:3/16:9 Sets Zoom Control Burr-Brown PCM-1756, 24 bit, 192 kHz Audio DACs Serial Remote In/Out ports Dimensions: 17.1"w x 3.2"h x 9.7"d SRP $269

Just a couple of points:

1. The fine folks at AVS Forum will find fault with ANY product, so don't go solely on their advice, or you'll never buy anything.

2. Audiophile or not, who wouldn't love Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon in Multi-Channel Surround? It's a waste of money NOT to buy an all in one player.

I own the Denon 2900 and I can honesly tell you it's worth the price (in my opinion). In terms of performance and ease of use - it's fantastic. I previously owned a Sony DVD player and after hooking up my new Denon 2900 to my system, I heard music and vocals sound coming from movies I've previously wached that I had never heard before.

It all depends on your wallet, but if it's possible you won't be diappointed with the 2900.

• Like 1

Check videohelp.com under dvd players. Gives reviews and tells you all formats they play. If you want dvd mp3 disc, divx, vcd or other formats you can burn yourself, you can find it there. I have a $68 walmart Philipps 642 player that does everything. It plays every format I want. Unlike most of these high dollar players, this $68 player does damn near everything you will burn. I can put 4gigs of MP3's on a DVD RW disc. I use one disc to put all my new music on. So far I only used about 1.5 gigs of it. When I get new music I just rewrite the disc with the new stuff. Just pop it in your player and you have hrs upon hrs of music on one disc.

If your not into SACD check out some other players. Dont spend your money on a brand name if its not going to do what you need.

----------------

On 1/2/2005 10:53:09 AM syd wrote:

I own the Denon 2900 and I can honesly tell you it's worth the price (in my opinion). In terms of performance and ease of use - it's fantastic. I previously owned a Sony DVD player and after hooking up my new Denon 2900 to my system, I heard music and vocals sound coming from movies I've previously wached that I had never heard before.

It all depends on your wallet, but if it's possible you won't be diappointed with the 2900.

----------------

Sorry to be Skeptical but I find it hard to believe there is much difference using

the same digital connection on a $600 player vs. a $100 player.

----------------

On 1/3/2005 9:04:10 AM gcoker wrote:

Sorry to be Skeptical but I find it hard to believe there is much difference using

the same digital connection on a $600 player vs. a $100 player.

----------------

Unless you've actually tried it, you're not in much of a position to make that comparison, are you?

My 3 year old computer, and my new one both have the "same digital connections" but the new on is better/faster. How can that be possible? Maybe the "connection" isn't the only thing that effects performance.

----------------

Unless you've actually tried it, you're not in much of a position to make that comparison, are you?

My 3 year old computer, and my new one both have the "same digital connections" but the new on is better/faster. How can that be possible? Maybe the "connection" isn't the only thing that effects performance.

----------------

Computer? Yes your right I guess the less expensive DVD players leave off

ones and zeros. Just like the high end Audio cables. 6.gif

gcoker,

There's a lot to it, mostly surrounding the quality of the decoder/deinterlacer chipset the manufacturer chooses for their player and then how well they implement the software for the chipset. Some chipsets are better than others, and some people write better software than other people do. Generally the more expexsive players get you better chipsets and better software (along with things like better build quality and better quality control), but of course there are exceptions. There are some more expensive players that don't get you anything but a name, there are some less expensive players that do it better than machines costing three and four times their price, and there are some really expensive players that do it really really well.

You should check out the DVD player comparisons at hometheaterhifi.com. They have done some pretty comprehensive testing on a large number of players.