Dish Network DVR hardware question

Audio Flynn

I am just a 2 channel tube nut lately and am not sure how to go on this item.

I really do not want to purchase new.

I have purchased new hardware 3 times and the stuff has been good but why throw money away.

What is a good price for a Echostar DVR used?

Is there a risk to buying a yellow smart card used?

DO you just buy a new smart card from the Dish people?

Can you get stuck with someones old balance if you buy a used reciver?

I will answer only those I know.

Yes, there can be a risk in buying the card and/or the receiver used.

As one would figure they could be stolen. If you are sure of your source, do you want Direct TV, Dish Network or other?

Another reason for not buying the receiver used is any technology change. Some download it to you (Dish) others you have to upgrade the receiver.

Yellow cards have a number unique to a person. You can always call and verify if any/all will work.

Good Luck (DISH Network for less than 1/2 of what my cable bill would be.)

The Dish PVRs have been known to go bad. The last time I looked, Dish gives a 1 year warranty.

My PVR 508 went bad out of warranty. Dish replaced it for the cost of shipping. The replacemnt (a refurbished model) went bad very quickly. The next time they sent a new machine at no cost to me. (I subscribe to enough programming that they did not want to loose my business. A fellow with less programming had to buy a replacement six months earlier.)

I would not buy a used machine. The hard drives are the weak link. I want support from Dish.

----------------

On 1/3/2005 7:41:44 PM dodger wrote:

Yellow cards have a number unique to a person. You can always call and verify if any/all will work.

----------------

I don't know about Dish, but I do know with DirecTV, you can have the card transfered to your account.

Minn is correct, but the subscription is typically about one year minimum. If you pull out early, you get a big bill.

A friend likes motocross, but wanted to dump Dish due to digital compression artifacts. He claims DSS is better for motocross. He had to finish his contract before he could afford to switch.

Persoanlly, I never see digital artifacts on Dish unless the weather is very bad.

Bill

----------------

On 1/3/2005 10:44:09 PM skonopa wrote:

----------------

On 1/3/2005 7:41:44 PM dodger wrote:

----------------

I don't know about Dish, but I do know with DirecTV, you can have the card transfered to your account.

----------------

Being the cynic that I am, if it is a hot card any past due amount could be inflicted upon the new owner.

I subscribe to DISH TV. It cost me I think $30.00 and I received the new "Super Dish" - not supposed to be as affected by weather conditions - installation and the unit for 2 rooms and two remotes.

PM me if you want more on that.

dodger