Is it worth it?

----------------

On 1/6/2005 1:36:59 AM ignorance_is_not_bliss wrote:

----------------

On 1/5/2005 1:43:00 PM yaffstone wrote:

Watts(W) = Volts (V) X Current (I)

V = I X resistance ®

Therefore W = I*I*R

At 100W and 4 ohms resistance (impediance) I = 5 amps, V = 20.

----------------

okay, now we've gone from english to math!?! what in Zeuses name are we talking about here? I understand about the fire retardant coating of the wire inside a wall, but completely LOST when yall start talking about math as it relates to possibilities of a fire, due to faulty wiring on my behalf.

----------------

It's called Ohm's law.

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslaw.asp

Ohm's Law

And the outer jacket on the wire is NOT fire retardant. As I stated above - "plenum" rating means that when the jacket burns it will not emit toxic fumes.

First, let me thank everyone for answering this question. quite informative, especially considering I wasn't thinking about the electrical side of things... I know sound waves emit an electrical charge, but the left side of my brain hasn't quite caught up with the right side yet.

hurd, thanks for simplifying, and minn male, thanks for the chart.

Another possible option for you would be to do what I did.

My local Klipsch dealer does a ton of custom install work so they have a lot of bulk wiring on-hand. I asked them if I could borrow one of their bulk reels of CL3, two conductor, 14ga. and pay them (per foot) for what I used.

Not sure you have a good relationship with a dealer like this, but if you do.....

Tom

Guest Anonymous

the stuff at walmart is half tin half copper and THERE IS A HUGE difference between that and an all copper wire, that doesn't mean you have to pay at least double though to get an all copper wire. Just don't buy monster cable whatever you do

"the stuff at walmart is half tin half copper and THERE IS A HUGE difference between that and an all copper wire"

Gee, that's all Klipsch used for many years in the Heritage models.

Its all COPPER, one side has a couple of microns of tin plating for ease of identification.

The stereo doesn't start the fire, but the heavier-than-air toxic fumes that ordinary wire produces will kill all your pets and short people (kids) no matter what starts the fire.

Save a few cents if you like.