AC-3 to Digital Audio Converter?

J.4knee

I have a quick question that hopefully someone can answer. Do any of you know of a decent AC-3 to Digital audio converter or if such a device exists? I need one if it does to convert my AC-3 output from my LD player for Surround decoding of my Laser discs (Yeah I still use em!) Does not matter if it is converted to optical or dig audio I just need to convert it so I can input it to my receiver.

Thanks,

Jim

When you say 'AC-3' output, you really mean 'AC-3 over RF', right? The old Sony EP9 "ES" Processor had input for Laser RF, but output 5.1 analog (6 RCA outs). It also had 5.1 analog pass-thru (as well as 3 additional digital inputs, 1 digital out). I am pretty sure you COULD NOT get the RF input to be converted and routed to the digital out however. It would normally be connected between the Preamp Outs and Amplifier Ins (but I see no reason you couldn't connect it to a receiver's 5.1 analog IN (normally for a SACD and such). I STILL think it was one of the BEST sounding AC-3 decoders out there (although it had fairly high background noise). The 'other' annoying thing about the unit was that NO REMOTE CONTROL CODES existed to select the inputs; manual buttons on the unit ONLY!! Actually you MAY have been able to toggle through them with the RC; I just don't remember. (there was an RC code for BY-PASS however).

Jim,

I use an Yamaha AC-3 adaptor for my laserdisc machine. I bought it for around a 100 bucks a few years ago. I have seen them pop up on ebay every so often and that may be your best bet. I'm not sure if anyone is making new ones anymore. You might check yamaha's web site and check out there parts department and see if by chance you can speacial order one. I would even check pioneer's web site too.

Good luck!

scooter

Jim,

What you are looking for is an AC-3 demodulator. Search ebay as they tend to come up from time to time.

If you watch a lot of LDs you might want to keep your eyes open for a Lexicon LDD-1, Meridian demodulator or the B&K DT-1. They all autoswitch between the AC-3 output of your player and your players normal digital output depending upon what the disc carries. It makes it more seamless to use which is nice.

Shawn