Do I REALLY need a 3805, or will the 2805 work?

kenratboy

This will be paired with Klipsch F-3's, a C-3, and S-3's.

The 3805 is nice and everything, but what more do you get over the 2805? I know the 3805 will pass the sub signal in stereo mode, will the 2805?

Down the road, I will probably buy a good 2-channel amp as I listen to a lot of 2-channel music, and I like it loud, but I'm sure the 2805 would be able to handle it.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Thanks. Not much difference with the specs!

However, IIRC, the 3805 on the test bench had a lot more power (more than 100 vs. 120 watts). I know the 3805 has the 'good' processors for all the speakers where as the 2805 only has them for the mains (I think)

Trying to read behind the lines 2.gif

The best way to decide is by audition. Go to Denon dealers that stock high sensitivity speakers. Buy the receiver that has the lower noise floor to your ears.

The weakest points in most receivers are the amp section and the noise floor. Outboard amps for the front three will solve the one problem, but there is no solution to the noise floor except to buy another receiver/processor.

Bill

PS: In that price range I would look at the Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX or the Pioneer 1014TX-K at BB.

----------------

On 1/7/2005 3:19:17 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

The best way to decide is by audition. Go to Denon dealers that stock high sensitivity speakers. Buy the receiver that has the lower noise floor to your ears.

The weakest points in most receivers are the amp section and the noise floor. Outboard amps for the front three will solve the one problem, but there is no solution to the noise floor except to buy another receiver/processor.

Bill

PS: In that price range I would look at the Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX or the Pioneer 1014TX-K at BB.
----------------

I work at BB/Magnolia, so I can get the 1014 (the 1015 has been announced), but I need 3 in, 1 out component, and 5, 6 or more digital jacks. We have the Elite's and the full Denon lineup (5805 is a BEAST 9.gif ) We have Sony ES, nice product, but not for me. Primare is too expensive - but I am thinking about one of their 2-channel amps...

I am asking, for people here who have more experience, what do you like more?

The 1014 has been getting some good feedback. And a 1015 anounced? I'll have to look into that soon since I'm back on my old receiver. Considering the 1014 is pretty much a Elite 52TX, it is definitely not a bad buy. In that price range, it's probably more rugged than most other receivers.

I would go with the better value, probably. I bought the HK335, but then got home and got to thinking... the 335 and 235 are almost the exact same thing, but the 335 has 5 more watts and a couple more connectors. And the 335 is several hundred dollars more. When it comes time to buy another receiver, I'll be aiming a little lower, I think.

The Pioneer 1015TX-K is supposed to have 3 conponent inputs. I don't know about digital inputs on the 1015. As a rule, it is better to have more digital inputs than you currently need to allow for expansion. The other side of that coin is that more digital inputs are found only on more expensive machines.

Bill

kenratboy

I used to have the 1014...great reciver for the price..but sold it and got a used parasound amp and used my second DD5.1 decoder as a preamp....cost me a lil over 400...and the sound quality BEATS THE 1014...and absolutely rides over the 3805.

Check for audiogon.com for deals. People over there are very trustworthy.

I can't speak for the 05 models. However, I have a 3801 and my friend purchased the 2801. There is a big difference as far as I can tell. Not so much in connectability, but in terms of power and fullness. Not much difference in specs, but imo a big difference in sound.

----------------

On 1/8/2005 4:40:56 AM jheis wrote:

If you work at Magnolia forget the Japanese stuff (a lot of Denon is actually made in China)- use your employee discount and move up to B&K - you won't regret it.

James
----------------

I am in a store where there is a ~3,000 sq. ft. Magnolia inside of Best Buy. The Denon 2805 and above are made in Japan.

I know it is not the BEST, but I have $$$ limits!!!

On 1/7/2005 12:27:20 PM kenratboy wrote:

However, IIRC, the 3805 on the test bench had a lot more power (more than 100 vs. 120 watts).

120W is not a lot more than 100W. It's 0.8 dB more.

----------------

On 1/8/2005 7:40:45 PM psg wrote:

On 1/7/2005 12:27:20 PM kenratboy wrote:

However, IIRC, the 3805 on the test bench had a lot more power (more than 100 vs. 120 watts).

120W is not a lot more than 100W. It's 0.8 dB more.

----------------

Ah!

But the issue is I heard on the TEST BENCH, the 3805 was signifigantly more powerful than the 2805.