info about this pair of khorns

pete almquist

hi all,

i found the year my horns were manufactured but wonder if anyone can offer a little more information about them. the model is kbwo, ser.# 19x581 which according to the list would have them assembled in 1982. they have a k77m tweeter and k400 squawker. just wondering about crossover type and whether there are upgrades, etc. recommended for them. any info would be fun to know or perhaps someone can direct me to a site that has such info available. do all khorns have what looks like an amplifier inside the cabinet? two coils and various other components mounted on a metal plate along with the terminal board. just curious...

pete

Pete: It looks like you have walnut oil B-type Klipschorns. That "amplifier" you see inside the cabinet is the crossover and its type will be marked on it. As far as upgrades, there are plenty of recommendations (both pro and con) listed all over this forum and only you can decide what is best for you.

Do you have the rubber gasket for the tailboard for the corner? If not some have used foam pipe insulation it does need to be sealed to the corner and also the top plate of bass bin should be sealed as well.Do look around here alot of information in the forum. Rick

Welcome to the forum Pete.

You probably have figured this out, but just for the record, that is not an amplifier in the back of your Khorn.

That is a nice year for the Khorn (and the year I was married!), and the "B" style is very nice too.

Not too much to upgrade in these, except for the crossovers. Do some reading here on the forum and you'll discover more opinions than can be useful on crossovers. The real secret with Khorns is having a good room to put them in. I believe the Khorn is the most room-sensitive Klipsch speaker there is.

You could always work on the upstream components and source to improve the quality of the sound. Perhaps no other speaker is as revealing of faults upstream as the Khorn.

Mostly you should just sit back and enjoy one the nicest sounding speakers ever built.

Greg