Stuttering...

verso

Hello everyone,

I'm still loving these PM 2.1's! Heh. 9.gif

Anyways, I'm having a problem with 'stuttering' - some of you may know what I am talking about.

Now, I thought I was noticing some stuttering - and now I'm sure of it!

I was listening to a song in Winamp, and browsing looking at wallpapers (customize.org).

Suddenly, the music just turns off for like a full second, I thought the song stopped! Then it started playing again!

Yikes! Intrigued, I left the computer alone and let Winamp play. No stuttering.

Then I starting browsing the website again. "Crash int..." ... "...o me! Crash into me!"

Dave Matthews just cuts out on me! lol!

So I close Winamp and fire up Windows Media Player. I browsed the same website, browing wallpapers - same way nothing changed, and not a single stutter!

After some Googling, I found others with a stuttering problem that applied to all media players, Winamp included but not specifically. And the resolutions were all different for them. Reinstalling the drivers, setting Winamp as a higher priority in XP, etc.

So what do you guys think? Has anyone here had that problem before with Winamp, specifically? Hmmm.

- Steven

I've been using Winamp for a long time and didn't have this problem initially, but all at once it showed up. What fixed mine was to change output plug-ins. In Winamp, hit Ctrl-P for Preferences, then click on Output under the PLug-Ins heading. The default is waveOut, but change to DirectSound, and click the Configure button. You can now change the settings dealing with this output mode. I usually increase the Buffer Length on the Buffering tab. I am at 3024ms right now and haven't heard a skip in a long time. Try that out and see if it helps. I tried everything with the waveOut mode. I even increased the buffer length on it and still had skipping. Once I went to DirectSound, though, everything's been smooth since. And, you get the fade-in/fade-out thing going with DirectSound. Hope that helps!

TPG,

I uninstalled Winamp and reinstalled it, I'm still having playback issues (still skipping).

I followed your directions but it appears to me that neither waveOut nor DirectSound is enabled.

I hit 'configure' on each one and under 'status display' each one says 'not active'.

Hmmmm.

- Steven

I think that is what my waveOut screen looks like, too, but I never use it. When you hit Ctrl-P and click on output, just click on DirectSound and then hit close. It'll change to DirectSound output, which may help. Seems as though you're still in waveOut.

Of course, it may not help at all to be in DirectSound... It did fix mine when I had that problem, though. I've tried messing with waveOut buffer settings, and no matter what, it still skipped.

"stop downloading mp3's that that riaa reedited to have those gaps to annoy users?"

Well Jay unfortunately for you, (unfortunate because now you look like an ***), I don't download music from the internet illegally.

I either purchase the CD from a retail store and rip it myself, or I will download the music online legally - as most of the bands whom I listen to allow their live music to be freely distributed on websites such as nugs.net and archive.org

So basically, yeah - that was a foolish assumption to make. Heh. It's a problem with winamp, not the songs themselves.

- Steven