Best center for my system?

Seismic_Pulse

Hey guys,

Which center would be the best match for my KG 4.5 and KG 3.5? I just picked up a pair of KG 1.5 for rear surrounds.

From my searches here on the site it doesn't look like Klipsch ever made a "center" for the KG line. The best I can figure getting one KG 2.5 would be the best bet.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

The 2.2V is great. Haven't heard the 2.5v yet. If you are using a projection screen tv, you don't have to look for a video shielded model. ONly CRT televisions are susceptable to interference from nonshielded speakers. I use a 2.2 as the center between my two forte's, and am quite happy with it (til I find an academy.)

Yes Klipsch made a center channel speaker for the KG series,

it's the KV. They made the KV-1, KV-2, KV-3 and KV-4. I used

the KV-1 with my KG 4.5 for many years. The KV's are very good

center speakers. Klipsch does not make them anymore but you can

easily find them on ebay.

Thanks for the replies...

gcoker Thanks for the info. I see that those 4 you mention are matched to the KG line. It looks like the KV-3 would be the best match for me 4.5's and 3.5's. Anyone else think this would be my best bet? Anyone out there have this center?

Keep in mind that right now I have the KLF-C7 and I like it but would like something that "matches" my current system better and I don't want to downgrade. Do you think that this would be a significant downgrade and if so should I swap or just stick with what I have?

Also anyone know how a 2.2, 2.5 or 1.5 would compare to the KV-3 or the rest of the KV line?

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=135

The KG line is the best match for the KG line.

As fletcherkane has mentioned, "Only CRT televisions are susceptable to interference from nonshielded speakers."

If you do not own a CRT type TV, get yourself a nonshielded KG series... They also show up from time to time on ebay.

I would go for a KG2.2 or KG2.5 as you already have 1.5's as surrounds. These match!

2.gif

Later

Mike

I have a CRT TV but currently I have my center channel about 12-16 inches above my TV. Would that distance create interference on my screen? If I were to get a non shielded unit is there something that I could place that on like say a piece of metal to prevent the interference or should I just opt for the 2.2v or the 2.5v?

If I were to get a pair of speakers say the KG 2.5 or 2.2 whichever are better then I could use the other speaker for a center for my other system.

My HT experience started out 10 years ago with 2 KG 3.5's and a KV-2 center. Very pleased for many years. The KV series is the match for all things KG. Then...(thanks to this forum)I purchased 4 more KG3.5's and modified one so that it could be "horizontalized" and placed above my CRT TV set on it's side. I had to add a bucking magnet to the woofer. Got it from Klipsch for about $30 if I remember correctly.

I guess what I am saying is that if you want the best possible "voice" match for a seamless soundstage across the front, find another pair of 4.5's and modify one to become your new center. If less than perfect is OK, then the KV-3 or KV-2 will perform best in that order. I don't think you can lose no matter which way you go. It's all a matter of degrees...9.gif

Redtop

Just to cairify, the KV's are voiced matched to the KG's. Another

KG will also be perfect. The KV's or any center speaker are

designed so they can be placed in small areas above or below the TV.

Also there design (sideways) so the tweeter is in the middle and

the drivers are on each side as to better dispers the sound. Not that

another KG will work but you may (without modification) see that

it's not as balanced.

So a couple for KG a couple for KV...

After reading these posts I was thinking, as I previously posted, a pair of KG 2.2v or KG 2.5v would be the best. The other speaker in the pair would make a decent center for my other system or for a rear center channel.

Any other people have an opinion on which would be better KV-1,2,3 or 4 or KG 2. something?

In another thread lipinski asks the difference between the 2.2 and the 2.5. Other than the obvious does anyone know the performance difference between the two?

If anyone out there has an opinion if this switch is the right thing to do I would also appreciate hearing from them. I don't want do "downgrade" my center speaker. I want my center to be a better match but don't want to take away from what I am used to.

Any other opinions would be great

Thanks again for all the posts and help.

Just to confuse even more......

The KV-4 center was designed to mate up with the Epic series speakers and no other.

There is no performance difference in the 2.2 and the 2.5.

Specs remained the same.

The KG2.5 has a plastic grill frame/ The 2.2 was a metal one. Also the 2.5's were pre-drilled for "omnimount" brackets.

If anyone out there has an opinion if this switch is the right thing to do I would also appreciate hearing from them. I don't want do "downgrade" my center speaker. I want my center to be a better match but don't want to take away from what I am used to.

-----------------------------------------

Seismic,

As someone who has experience with both KG centers and the KLF-C7. You are talking apples and oranges when you try to compare them. The KLF series was Klipsch's top of the line models from 1997 to 2001. The sound quality is different... more punch and detail. I don't say that to take away from the sound quality of KG line (I still use 3.5's for 2 channel music), it's just to say the soundstage is different.

If you are happy with the KLF-C7, build your theater around it. If you have an ear for detail, you will feel that something is missing if you replace the C7.

Just my two cents...1.gif

----------------

On 1/12/2005 6:07:33 PM redtop wrote:

OK guys, just for the fun of it...

Which avatar picture is better likeness...mine or gcoker?
9.gif

(Sorry for the off topic reply...my mind is a little warped today, no offense intended gcoker
2.gif
)

----------------

Better likeness to what? Yours just plain creeps me out!6.gif2.gif

Guest Anonymous

i had a pair of kg 2.2's a few years back, and i loved them, i really wish that i had never gotten rid of them because i know the guy who has them now treats them with total disrespect, but at the time i thought they would be going to a good home, but i was wrong, and now i have lost contact with him and i would buy them back in an instant assuming they were as good as when i had them..... ohh well