Hmm, scale back new audio system so I can get a new TV?

kenratboy

I have been thinking about what I want to do with my home theater system.

Instead of getting the largest mains (F-3's), I might scale back to B-3's, a C-3's, and still unsure for the surrounds. Also, I am mulling getting the soon to be released Pioneer VSX-1015TX (I should be able to get it for <$400) or maybe stick with the Denon 2805 (<$600).

However, pinching some pennies would open up some cash to upgrade my TV.

I know some of you are happy with a RF-7 or Heritage system with a 19" RCA from the Wal*Mart, but my 27" JVC is pretty lame for the job to me. I am possibly looking at some sort of LCD or LCOS RPTV (no DLP, rainbows) in the low 40" area (42" Sony or 44" Zenith/LG) - I think this would be a much better system overall.

I just can't drop $3,000 or so to get a rig up. As it is now, I have a pair of stereo speakers and a cheap Sony receiver and DVD player. I want to get a rig that will really allow me to upgrade and have everything else I need so upgrading is not just adding needed components!!!

Remember, I will always have the Chorus II's for music!!!

----------------

On 1/13/2005 12:55:01 AM meuge wrote:

If you're going to be satisfied with a 42" TV, then please consider one of the Sony CRT tube HDTVs. They may be much deeper and heavier than LCD or LCOS, the the picture is better, and you can get them for ~$1600-1700.
----------------

I'm not too hot on the CRT's because I want to use this as a computer monitor and need the properties of a 'pixel-bases' display.

Having something light and small is a plus. The 44" Zenith is 60 pounds and is very nice. DVI and VGA input along with component.

There is a HUGE difference between a 34" CRT and 42-44" RPTV.

TV technology is changing very rapidly. Quality is going up and prices are going down. Big TVs are also a pain to move. College students can usually look forward to many moves in the not too distant future.

A new receiver would be a high priority if I were in your position.

Bill

Guest Anonymous

next year sony will no longer be making the 40' xbr, and i would imagine the era of 40' crts to be coming to a rapid end very soon... i personally would not buy a 40' crt right now on thhe basis of it getting phased out repairs would be pricey

----------------

On 1/13/2005 1:21:17 PM Gramas701 wrote:

next year sony will no longer be making the 40' xbr, and i would imagine the era of 40' crts to be coming to a rapid end very soon... i personally would not buy a 40' crt right now on thhe basis of it getting phased out repairs would be pricey
----------------

But why would someone want to spend $2,000+ on a full screen TV when widescreen material (DVD's now, HDTV soon) is dominant?

Oh, Sony is no longer making 40" tubes, the only CRT XBR is their 34"

Guest Anonymous

there are a lot of people out there are just misinformed and like the look of full screen better, do not ask me why, but it is a common thing esp with the elderly who need as a big a pic as possible....

----------------

On 1/13/2005 1:29:35 PM Gramas701 wrote:

there are a lot of people out there are just misinformed and like the look of full screen better, do not ask me why, but it is a common thing esp with the elderly who need as a big a pic as possible....

----------------

Well I'm one of those (ont in age) and this is why I bought the 40" CRT XBR.

1. Sony Direct Views have the best picture hands down

2. A vast majority of my viewing is not widescreen DVD's or HD.

3. A 40" has a bigger picture then a 34" widescreen (displaying a 16:9)

or a 42" widescreen displaying a 4:3 picture.

4. Very few movies in 1.78:1 ratio so unless you streach the picture

you are still going to have black bars.

Strictly for Home Theater I would recommend using rb5s all around with a good sub. This type of system would work great in my humble opinion. I used rb5s across the front for quite a while.

I did get the upgrade bug as my system is also my music system and I wanted to try older generation speakers. Now the rb5s are in a guest room connected to my old pioneer stereo receiver.

Mike

Ken, here is something no one has touched on yet. Consider that the psychological phenomenon that really puts you 'in the theatre' is the sound. I lived for years with a 27" Mitsu tube but a killer sound system. Much of screen size depends on how far you sit from the monitor. Likewise, most HT furniture placements mean pulling the sofa away from the back wall, so rear surrounds are truly in the 'rear'. This gains you 3' closer to set. So your hunch about spending more on sound and less to TV may be well founded.

Also consider the life of the components. Klipsch speakers will last a lifetime. Period. If you're buying entire HT rig, without plans to shift anything around in the next decade, or without having 'extra' rooms that could use 'hand-me-down' speakers, you won't have any use for the smaller models when you go to trade up. TV's on the other hand, have technology that is changing so rapidely that costs are going down every year and some types may be of questionable lifespan anyway.

I'd stick with the original plan. On the sound system, GO HARD OR STAY HOME! Get your dream system. Scale back on tube, especially since you need comp monitor qualty. You can always get a projection or Plasma when you hit the lottery, and you can always use a good 27" in another room at your place. Cool?

Michael

Sorry, the thread got kinda buried.

I have been doing a lot of posting and am getting as many as a dozen e-mails an hour!

I'm still thinking, but I am probably going to pull the trigger on a all-out Synergy system (F-3's, C-3, B-3's) and get a Denon 2805 fairly quick. I will use my exsisting DVD player and TV for the time being. When some of the new LCD's come out (there is some HOT stuff coming soon), I might pull the trigger on that and a basic upconverting DVD player (Denon 1910, for example)

Personally, I would opt for the larger TV. A better receiver, or something of the like, would make for improved sound obviously, but a larger TV would provide more immediate, noticeable, and long-term enjoyment (until the next thing in your system is upgraded, as that would then be your new baby), as well as the fact that a Big Screen is something that you and all your friends/family can enjoy as well. Not EVERYBODY is an audiophile in the sense that an upgraded receiver may or may not make the slightest hint of difference to them. To most, surround sound is surround sound.