La Scala.....Finally

marcophile

I first heard a pair of La Scala's 25 years ago and walked away dazed and addicted. So, I recently purchased a pair and after hooking them up to my amp, all the aural memories came rushing back.

For years I had "gotten by" with conventional EGO, JBL, and Cerwin Vega loudspeakers which produced loud sound but I never felt the soundstage was near. That all changes with a pair of La Scalas and the stunning performance they deliver. During an early listening session, I needed to turn the volume down a bit!

I know I'm just re-iterating similiar sentiments...but it's fun to huddle up and smile with compatriots.

I bought brand new La Scalas, with the new crossover network, and I asked technical support about the differences between this series, and those that came before. Apparently , due to the driver changes and slight differences in output, the new crossovers compensate for these differences. I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to listen to an older set-up vs. the brand new series(with new drivers)? and can compare the two? I drive the La Scalas with an Onkyo Integra 8190(100w), and monster cable original (10 or 12 gauge?). I've read so much about amps, wiring and the difference they make with the final audio product. I'm curious to know what opinions there are and can they really hear a difference? (And what are the differences?)

Congrats and Welcome!!!1.gif1.gif1.gif

The new drivers and crossovers are said to be the capo d' capo. You should feel no urge to retrograde to an earlier set up IMHO.

You will of course have to get a tube amp or pair of mono-blocks and a pre-amp if you want to hang out with the "big boys". I know that they have converted me!3.gif It is so unusual to find an SS amp that is clean enough at the 0.1 watt level needed to really appreciate Klipsch Heritage speakers.

Again welcome! And ENJOY!!!!3.gif3.gif3.gif

Rick

oh, dude, you are in for it now!

Congradulations, bet you never sell them!

Welcome to the wonderful world of big ole horns. For starters, since our frigging forum profile still does not include our equipment list, we need some information from you, some of which you have already provided:

Budget?

Room size?

Room shape?

Corners available?

Primary music or movies?

What percent music or movies?

Prefer extra bass punch or flat accuracy?

Multi or dual channel?

What kind of music?

How loud?

Other planned additions or upgrades?

Own or rent (can you install in walls)?

Tweaking audiophile handy, willing to DIY?

Prefer new or used?

And some personal background:

How long you have been a Klipsch fan?

How you got introduced to Klipsch?

What else have you tried?

Please post your system information in your profile so the thoughtful and considerate posters here can give you relevant and valuable answers.

Welcome to the exciting world of horns. Remember that the super and ultra-high sensitivity of horn loudspeakers changes every generalization made about amplifier and loudspeaker matching.

You don't need lots of power with Klipsch's big old horns - you need lots of good, clean power. Class A is good; tubes, in my own humble opinion, is better performance at a lower price, but with some learning required.

3.gif3.gif

----------------

On 1/13/2005 1:12:46 PM Colin wrote:

Welcome to the wonderful world of big ole horns. For starters, since our frigging forum profile still does not include our equipment list, we need some information from you, some of which you have already provided:

Budget?

Room size?

Room shape?

Corners available?

Primary music or movies?

Multi or dual channel?

What kind of music?

How loud?

Tweaking audiophile – handy, willing to DIY?

Prefer new or used?

Please post your system information in your profile so the thoughtful and considerate posters here can give you relevant and valuable answers.

Welcome to the exciting world of horns. Remember that the super and ultra-high sensitivity of horn loudspeakers changes every generalization made about amplifier and loudspeaker matching.

You don't need lots of power with Klipsch's big old horns - you need lots of good, clean power. Class A is good; tubes, in my own humble opinion, is better performance at a lower price, but with some learning required.

3.gif3.gif

----------------

Excuse my previous lack of information, but I'm just getting up to speed with this forum.

Budgets are relative...but I'll spend to get an audible difference.(new or used is fine)

Room size is nearly square..20x25 with a 7-6 ceiling height...some obstruction...corners are available

Music only(no movies)...highs are important and slightly more than a flat bass line is best

Dual channel primarily

I like to listen to music at deafening volume

My musical tastes include The New York Dolls, Johnny Thunders, The Motors, The Flamin' Groovies, Nick Lowe, etc.

Thanks for the interest!

----------------

On 1/13/2005 1:34:53 PM paulparrot wrote:

JMK,

Congrats on finally buying some La Scalas. Don't let Colin's hyper-inquisitiveness scare you off.

Did you burn your JBLs for firewood or were you able to sell them?

----------------

No problem...I actually donated the speakers to some less fortunate audiophiles so they might listen to their tunes(at less than proper volume, I might add)

Welcome, congrats on the La Scala's. If you are not going to use a K-Horn IMO then La Scala's are your best choice. I've used mine for over 20 years now. I have recently upgraded my networks to ALK kits and wow it was like they were born again. Like you I was absolutely captivated the first time I heard them that I bought them. Enjoy and again welcome to the zoo, try not to feed the animals though.16.gif

EDIT: Wow I just realized today in my first year anniversary being on the forum. Gee fun sure flies when doing time with you guys

9.gif

----------------

On 1/13/2005 1:12:46 PM Colin wrote:

Budget?

Room size?

Room shape?

Corners available?

Primary music or movies?

Multi or dual channel?

What kind of music?

How loud?

Tweaking audiophile handy, willing to DIY?

Prefer new or used?

----------------

"I like to listen to music at deafening volume

My musical tastes include The New York Dolls, Johnny Thunders, The Motors, The Flamin' Groovies, Nick Lowe, etc."

Deafening volume? Well the LS will certainly do it but I would be careful jmk. In any case, congratulations and I think you'll be happy with them (even at more moderate listening levels!!)

2.gif2.gif

----------------

On 1/13/2005 9:40:45 PM greg928s4 wrote:

ETCETERA??? I've never heard of even one of those groups!

I guess I've got some research to do.

Greg

----------------

Stop listening to the radio...there's a brave new/old music world out there...although those bands are all from the 70's and 80's6.gif and all the bands listed are of the rock variety...hence "etc"

Congrats!!!!

Once they break in they will sound even better!! I picked up my 2004 La Scalas back in April and they are just now starting to sound like they are broken in. I am not able to really crank them up like you do so it took longer to break in mine yours should not take as long to break in at the volume levels you like. My best friend took his La Scalas down to a pawn shop and got a loan and did not get them out, idiot!! I'm going to go back to the pawn shop to see if they are still there but it's unlikely since it's been almost 2 years. Before I bought the LS I used some KLF 20s with a Denon HT reciever and SS amps that sounded very good but with the LS did not sound as good with that equipment. Since then I have gotten a Cayin TA 30 tube integrted amp that I use just as a amp and I just got the last piece of my puzzle, for now, A 2004 Luxman L-505f integrated amp that I am using as a preamp. SACD through the new Luxman preamp has allowed me to enjoy SACD for the first time. The L-505f is a good integrated amp or a good amp but as a SS preamp it is very very good with tubes!

A local audio store let me take home and demo a Jolida tube CD player and I compared it to my NAD C542. In my opion with my equipment I liked my NAD C542 better. The Jolida had a quiter background but to me the highs did not sound right, too laid back. On some cds the Jolida sounded better but at twice the cost not that much better. One reason I like the C542 is it plays HDCDs. Like DVD-A or SACD there are good recordings and bad ones and it is the same for HDCD. So the HDCDs I have are good recordings and on the C542 they sounded much better than on the Jolida at half the cost. Now the C542 is not perfect with La Scalas it can sound bright on some music but that is where my tube amp mellows it out just enough.

If your set up with your new La Scalas sounds just right to you don't worry about upgrading. But if you start to get the bug, the upgrade bug, then there is a lot of good advice from people on this forum! My only advice is if possible try to demo a component in your system so you know if will work or not. The Jolida CD player is a excellent player that works for a lot of people on this forum but for me it just did not work. Luckily I was able to do a demo first and stay with my CD player. Second if you do decide to do upgrades wait till the speakers have broken in. Enjoy the La Scalas cause I'm enjoying mine but I do need a bigger house now!!

Xman