Any GPS experts out there?

Audio Flynn

I have a close friend that incurred a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) six months ago in a car accident that he was a victim in and is haveing some struggles.

He is recently cleared to drive but gets lost or confused occassionally.

Is there a car mounted GPS with touch screen and memeory of locations anyone is aware of that is easy to use and reliable.

My company does repair on these devices. Agree the Garmin is more user friendly than Megellan. Don't know his vehicle type but may also want to consider OnStar if he has it available in his vehicle. He could get directions live from a person anytime he needed, and also have immediate assistance if he has a problem.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/16/2005 11:14:39 PM arthurs wrote:

My company does repair on these devices. Agree the Garmin is more user friendly than Megellan. Don't know his vehicle type but may also want to consider OnStar if he has it available in his vehicle. He could get directions live from a person anytime he needed, and also have immediate assistance if he has a problem.

----------------

onstar is worth every penny in my mind, i am not always home and therefore cannot always be there to help in time of car troubles and i have road side assitance with state farm, but if she were ever in an area with out cell phone service it wouldn't do any good, invaluable in my mind

If your friend is willing to spend 2-3K, the best aftermarket GPS systems are made by Alpine. You have to buy the headunit/LCD screen and the DVD navigation unit seperately, as they are mounted in your dash, and under a seat, respectively. They are miles...YEARS...more powerful and intuitive than Magellan or Garmin. But again, they cost 5-6 times the price.

All the mentioned brands are solid products, but I highly highly recommend those by Alpine. They make life so much easier.

If your friend gets lost or confused, is he going to be able to learn and remember how to use a GPS system? The reason I ask is that the symptoms sound similar to what Alzheimer's patients exhibit. And IMHO they would definitely have trouble with GPS. Might be worth trying, though. He's lucky to have a friend like you to look out for him.

if he has a laptop, a cheaper solutions is buying this gps system that utalizes the usb port and hooks to the labtop. It is about 115 dollars and is made by microsoft. I believe they all it streets and roads or something. Just imput the start and final destination and it will work like a regular gps system, telling when to turn and realtime visual.