ALK type A

78Khorn

Well, after reading all the ALK threads on the forum, I ordered ALK type A crossovers from Al today. I figured it was time to improve the AA crossovers on my Khorns after 27 years. They should show up about the same time as the Heresy's I have on order for my surround channel. Can't wait to hear the difference the type A's will make!

I would be very interested in your opinion of the changes. I recently acquired a set of Khorns and immediately put on my ALK networks on them, so I cannot compare a before vs. after. However, your ears have been used to the original sound. Let us know.

• 4 weeks later...

I hooked up the new ALK's in my K-horns with them set at the as arrived X-4 squawker tap setting. The increased bass and the tightness of the bass as compared to my 27 year old AA's was unbelivable. I listened to them for about an hour playing a few different music selections and decided I needed to try changing the squawker tap settings to increase the upper end volume a little as well as improve the presence of the vocals. I was listening to Diana Krall in particular as my reference point. I changed the taps up one setting to 2-5 and it accomplished exactly what I was looking for. The soundstage and presence was excellent (better than my AA's), the upper end volume better balanced with the bass, and the base was still noticably improved over the AA's and tight.

I then hooked up the crossovers using bi-wire and believe that the presence of the mid and upper end improved a little more. I'm not energetic enough to change back and forth to and from bi-wire to ensure the improvement is real, but I'm satisfied enough that I heard a difference that I'm leaving them hooked up that way. (can't hurt)

After I've had more listening time with a wider variey of music I'll provide one more update.

Al K, I'm a happy customer!

78 Khorn