Can an amp clip at low input volume?

I have some promedia 2.1's the amp volume is about 1/2 but the input volume from my pc is at 0 and when the signal comes in, i hear some poping or clipping from the song. If I turn up the amp volume the popping gets louder even though I still can't hear the song.

Any explanation for this?

This also only occures out of one of the channels (not both)

----------------

On 1/18/2005 5:15:20 PM rtaylor wrote:

I know this is simple but have you tried switching your speakers around to see if it follows your speaker or is in a component? Have you made sure your connections are tight,they can go bad. Let us know if you've tried these actions.

----------------

yes its not the speakers (thank god, cuz I'm using RSX-5's) its channel dependent

----------------

On 1/18/2005 5:18:11 PM 007 wrote:

well, i swapped my front and rear channels in software mode, and the poping has stopped, it looks like it could me the front Left dac in my revo. Dammnit that thing was expensive!

----------------

Hopefully still under warranty?

----------------

On 1/18/2005 5:23:55 PM 007 wrote:

**** one of my RSX-5's has some other problem, it sounds fuzzy, its definitly the speaker.

Great, i lost my REVO and a RSX-5 in one day

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

----------------

Okay, I'm not insulting your intelligence, did you hook the problem channel to the 5?

Reason: Friend called up frantic, had Jazzercise class to teach. Tape deck would do nothing.

My wife has some knowledge of equipment tried, nothing.

I drove 9 miles, walked in looked at it, turned the power on.

I've reversed phase.

So hopefully it's only 1 thing.

Good Luck

dodger

Ok, I downloaded foobar because I realized the popping could just be the mp3 files. foobar has seemed to work and the poping sounds are gone. I was worried about the poping because it was only out of one channel, I found that to be strange, but foobar seems to have fixed it for now.

However, one my rsx-5's (a seemingly different problem) still makes a fuzzy noise out of the midrange driver. I hooked it up to where my other RSX-5 was and it still emits the sound, but the other one does not. I made sure the connect was good. The sound seems to get worse with time (or heat of the voice coil perhaps?)

:

Your popping may have done in the midrange driver. Hopefully not. Don't know the speakers you have. If they are in warranty you're in luck, if not open them up and see if the connections inside are in good shape. If they are I don't know anything else to check. Maybe someone else here can help. If not it is off to the dealer.14.gif

thanks for the help guys.

the poping out of the left channel may have induced this problem with this speaker, or not. Either way, this speaker is not healthy

:(

Also, i think its impossible to open up the rsx's unlesss you know how

----------------

On 1/18/2005 6:01:03 PM rtaylor wrote:

Your popping may have done in the midrange driver. Hopefully not. Don't know the speakers you have. If they are in warranty you're in luck, if not open them up and see if the connections inside are in good shape. If they are I don't know anything else to check. Maybe someone else here can help. If not it is off to the dealer.
14.gif

----------------

Or I have seen one case of a dust ball in a speaker. When moved around, it must have come in contact with mid driver.

Optomistic view.

dodger