help in buying used klipsch

bkcleve

I think I can get this for about 3 grand. Four (4) RF-7 one RC-7 and the 15 inch sub. They are about a year and a half old and the owner appears to have been running the best electronics available. If I can get these can you recommend a upper middle of the road receiver for this set up. Will be using them in a 5.1 and listening to music more than movies. I am an old time rocker from the 80's and like my music loud but clear. Short of the obvious (age of the owner and how he takes care of his stuff, serial numbers, physical appearance of the equipment) any other tell tale signs I should be looking for? I am hearing you say common sense rules. Thanks a bunch!

If you're spending so much money of the speakers, you should set a decent chunk of change away for good electronics to run them with. Reference models are extremely revealing of the downstream equipment, and you will be far more impressed if your amplification was on-par with the quality of the speakers. I wouldn't recommend running them off a receiver, but rather using separates. If you go the used route you can get a very good combination of Sunfire, Rotel and B&K processors and amps from Audiogon for ~$1500-2000 for a set (pre/pro + 5-ch amp). If you go new, Outlaw Audio is your bet for the best price/performance ratio... namely the Model 950 pre/pro combo with either then 750 200wpc amp or 5 M200 monoblocs... all for around $1500 as well.