ALK arrived today

jwc

jc,

I would be willing to work with you on building a custom LaScala or two-piece LS for your room. However, you might want to think about a Belle type thing in the center front. It's a full 5 inches shallower, about 6" wider. The height is about the same. It doesn't stick out into the room near as much. Looks like your LS have no grilles at all, this could be matched up in a custom Belle type cabinet. The custom matching approach could be carried through more than that. A guy could eliminate the upper-and-lower cabinet approach, do away with the riser and make the sides one piece. The end product would look very much like the LS, just wider and shallower with finished front baffle and no grilles at all. As long as you have a fair idea how your LS are finished it can be duplicated, obviously so can the glass tops. Let me know if you're interested, I can look at some more concrete ideas about how the actual construction would be carried out.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tom Thanks.

I don't want a belle type design because they are so wide. My wife already complains of the width of the La Scalas. I am interested in the split design for a center. Wheter it be a scala, CornScala or a Cornwall. I haven't decided. Right now I'm hearing all these ideas on scala modification.

I know very little of woodworking. Once I choose an idea, I will want someone as yourself to build it. Knowing me,I would cut my dern hand off. The bad part would be shipping me the cabinet. This would cost a lot. If they soung good enough, I might use that design for my front and put my Scalas in the back.

So to sum it up, I'm most interesed in a cornwall bass bin and the use of the mid and highs used in the scalas.

I've read many of your posts. You've givben me good insight. I will soon make up my mind

thanks

jc 1.gif

A Belle has two separate cabinets, the lower bass bin and upper high frequency section. If a guy wanted to change the cosmetics to resemble the LS more, he could eliminate the riser between top and bottom, make the side panels one solid piece like an LS instead of two pieces like a Belle.

I've noted that I'm interested in persuing a Cornwall project in the other thread about Cornwall drawings and plans. I thought Bob Crites' approach was great as far as the dimensions, but for appearances sake the top would have to be closed in and the whole thing built from furniture grade materials. It wouldn't be necessary to have the quick change woofer setup, it would just have a regular bottom hatch cover like a Belle or LS. The dimensions are known, the cabinet is simple. What I would be concerned aboutr is mixing the direct radiator bass with the horn loaded bass of the LS, thiese might not work very well together, depending on how discriminating your listening/hearing is.