OK Let's Start a Cornwall Drawing

Jim E

After seeing a pair of vertical Cornwall decorators in the garage sale area

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/144813.aspx

1973 Cornwalls For Sale $550 Milwaukee, WI Area Vertical Horns Consec. #'s I was struck by

The simplicity and the fact that they looked great just stunned me. The money was certainly right and I just couldn't get myself up for a winter road trip into the heart of the continent. I have been looking for a late winter project and had my mind set on a pair of Single MWM bass bins but the money isn’t there to fully tackle them and do them correct at the moment. I did some searches on "Vertical Cornwall" and "Decorator Cornwall" and found this topic and read quite a few others and still didn’t find a good workable drawing. I used JimE original drawing and I hacked it up a bit to the point where I thought it may have been close within a quarter inch and I emailed one of the forum members that had some 67’s in their signature. A couple days later I got a reply with a more or less statement "what are you looking for?" so I hacked up a front view and labled it A to H and sent it back. Yesterday I received the data I was looking for and finished my hack drawing. I wanted some of you that had the Vertical Corwall Decorators to have a look and see if I am missing anything. I think it’s close and will probably start on them next week if the weather warms up a bit. With a couple sheets of 4 x 10 mahogany and a couple of ¼ sheets I have enough to do all of the woodwork. See what you think and let me know if I am missing anything.

Thanks to all…

post-42841-13819637090534_thumb.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Pete

Thanks for the ideas. I was thinking a bit and I have enough mahogany plywood to build 3 Vertical Decorator's and maybe one could be updated/uprated to a Corntrak elliptical. I think that there is enough motorboard to stuff one in. I am not sure about the depth but I am guessing that the Eliptrac 400 is 10 1/2 inches deep 14 slices at 3/4 inch each) plus 3 3/4 for the Faital HF200 is 14 1/4 inches deep. The Decorator would need to have some depth added but if it was only a 1/2 inch then I think it would be feasible with the material that I have on hand. This is really a bunch of dreaming on my part, but a year ago all I had was a 22-year-old pair of KG4’s that I bought new out in the garage. Things have changed a bit and this year will probably change a bit more.

post-42841-1381963722325_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Gary, the Eliptrac with Faital Pro has a total depth of 14.5 inches, however the internal box depth reqired is 13.75"

The Eliptrac by design should be mounted horizontally.

post-24405-13819637236324_thumb.jpg

garyeanderson

Don't forget that decorator's have a motor board that goes all the way up.....you know what I mean....you do not see a top edge lip if viewed from the front.

garyeanderson

Don't forget that decorator's have a motor board that goes all the way up.....you know what I mean....you do not see a top edge lip if viewed from the front.

The front view already showed the motorboard with a dotted horizontal lines top and bottom to show the fact that, as you say, are the full height of 35 3/4 inches. I have edited the drawing (probably the 5th or 6th time and uploaded) there is another revised one in my first post that show the vertical dotted lines for the front motorboard and back cover. The more I look at it the more I see things that didn't look right or just could look better. I searced for the better part of a couple of hours for this version of the Cornwall and didn't find one. It's been out of production for quite some time and there seem to be few left that look original and unpainted (improved). My 84 CWL Cornwall's are pretty nice but I do like things that are simple and the Cornwall Decorator "box" looks as simple as can be. Funny how it takes as long as it has to understand how they are constructed and built. Thanks for taking a look and letting me know that the drawings were conflicting. I would like it to be correct as best as I can.

• 8 years later...

Hi guys, I see that this is an old post, but I put these dimensions together in a sketchup drawing. If I'm allowed, I will upload them for anyone to check out. There is an assembled pair as well as all the parts for one cabinet (minus corner braces) laid out onto a 4' x 8' grid. I still need to draw some motor boards for the horizontal style. If anyone finds this useful I'll upload the drawing again when that's done

Cornwall II.skp