Help, I have GAS...

Pure Corn

G-ear A-cquisition S-yndrome:

"An obsessive-compulsive disorder in which the afflicted buys audio equipment in a quest for sonic nirvana."

Sells all home theater gear.

Buys Cornwalls, buys Cornwall IIs, sells Cornwalls.

Buys a Dared VP-16, sounds nice; asks, "I wonder what these tubes would sound like?"

Buys tubes and tubes and tubes.

The Jolida 1301A might be perfect, buys. Auditions; not!

Wow, a Bryston B60 at a good deal! Upon first listen, asks, "did I ever hear THAT before?"

Sells Bryston B60, buys Bryston B60; justifies, "I need to hear the SST ouput devices in a B60."

What's this, an SLI-30 at a great deal? Buys. Wow, the VP-16 was not so good after all.

Sells tubes and tubes and tubes. Buys tubes and tubes and tubes. "Gee, the Svetlana EL-34s sound nice."

Reads a review on the Adcom GFP-750, buys GFP-750. Buys Bryston 3B-ST.

Buys balanced interconnects; justifies "can't really tell how good it is without balanced cables."

Auditions; "now, that's really a "black" silence."

Oooh, Monarchy SE-100 Delux, Class "A" Solid State, "that sounds perfect"; buys.

Auditions; that is good, but begins feels out of touch with something (reality?).

IS THERE A PILL TO CURE MY AILMENT?

Now, needs a DAC, DIP, er, what else starts with "D"? Oh, yeah, DIGITAL power amp? ARGH!

Current inventory:

Dared VP-16

Bryston B60

Adcom GFP-750

Bryston 3B-ST

Monarchy SE-100 Delux Mono Blocks

Cary SLI-30

Jolida 1301

Music Hall MMF-5

Modded Toshiba SD-3960

TRYING TO QUIT! 11.gif

Yours is a mild case, chew a couple of Tums.

Mine has been going on now for about 5 years, constant transition. I think I have the FARTS syndrome as outlined above.

If I were to itemize all the changes in the past 5 years it would take forever to type up, I probably don't even remember some of the stuff that I have bought and sold. I have actually finally reached the point were I am happy with everything - almost! 9.gif