way OT. big time camera problem(canon ae-1 program)

Scp53

ok, i was using a ae-1 program camera(older canon SLR) and i have a piece of black stuff on the lense or something. after switching between a couple of lenses i found that the specks of black are in the camera body. i discover its on the microprism ring(part of the prism thinger, right above the mirror.) it seems the black stuff is from a deteriorating ring or gasket on the housing. bits of it got knocked loose and when i went to rub it, it smeared or got into the prism grooves. wonder if i could use alohol or something to rub it off. please help. i was planning on using it more today on in the weeks to follow. thanks

scp5315.gif

If it is on the reflex lens it shouldn't hurt anything. You see it when you look through the view finder, then it flips up out of the way when you take the picture. It will not be on the exposure. To remove it you may try some lens cleaner on a piece of lens paper.

ok, i took some lense cleaner(i think its for eye glasses) and put it on the prism(after i removed it). it helped but its still there. i think the black garbage got into the grooves or something. VERY VERY hard to get COMPLETELY off.

so i need a different solution...

and for cleaning the lenses, is that eye glass cleaner ok?

i have no special rags or towels to clean the lenses either. what can i use and not use?

thanks

scp53

What you're seeing is probably bits of deteriorated foam from the mirror dampening mechanism. This should be professionally replaced as it's loss will mean excessive mirror vibration (causing camera shake on slower shutter speeds) possibly light leaks and/or the bits will get into the camera works. Your local pro can clean the debris from your matte focusing screen at that time. On Nikons, I know the focusing screen is removeable if you pop the prism off the top. DOn't know about Canons, but this camera needs to go into the shop pronto. Ask for a general Clean, Lube and Adjust while it's in and it'll come back like a new camera. Thanks for continuing to use film. It just looks better than digital!

Michael

ill probably continue to use film for a very long time. im going to look into the gasket thing crumbling apart. the camera is way too nice to not fix. i think its 20years old. i need to get a special clothe and solution clean the lenses properly. have i harmed the lense at all if i cleaned it with something like a shirt or something. i used no solution. the manuel says to use no silicon clother or the like.

thanks, scp53

----------------

On 1/30/2005 10:40:56 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

What you're seeing is probably bits of deteriorated foam from the mirror dampening mechanism. This should be professionally replaced as it's loss will mean excessive mirror vibration (causing camera shake on slower shutter speeds) possibly light leaks and/or the bits will get into the camera works. Your local pro can clean the debris from your matte focusing screen at that time. On Nikons, I know the focusing screen is removeable if you pop the prism off the top. DOn't know about Canons, but this camera needs to go into the shop pronto. Ask for a general Clean, Lube and Adjust while it's in and it'll come back like a new camera. Thanks for continuing to use film. It just looks better than digital!

Michael

----------------

I'd listen to Michael here. I had the same thing happen with a Nikon FM and I sent it in for a tune up. $85 or so and back in my hands like new.

ootee I agree just let it die.

Anyway, I have had multiple SLRs in 35 and 2 1/4 and 4 x 5 in the past. I had the same problem that you had on some older equipment. The biggest thing that you need to watch is that the lenses are coated and rubbing that off is where the problem comes in. I had a Hasselblad with the same black goo problem. I was able to get it of with lense cleaner. I think you are making the right decision in taking it to a camera shop. Just remember not to pay an arm and a leg because you can pick up a good used Canon AE1 for cheap. I have a MINT nikon F3 with motor drive like new paid 1600 now worth maybe 500.00. Digital just destroyed 35MM.

dylanl- REMEMBER- Film still works. Never mind the estimated retail value of your F3, it will outlive any digital camera made today. I hang on to my Hasselblads for the same reason. Don't see any reason to buy a new camera every year when I have a perfectly good set of bodies and lenses that have functioned perfectly well for decades. It's like the CD vs LP debate. But I won't get started on that war right now. They will drag me kicking and screaming into the digital age, or I'll just retire!

Michael

Michael,

I have a really nice Minolta setup, an x-700 with drive and around 8 Rokker lenses. I bought the body off ebay a couple years ago and would like to have it looked over. Can you suggest a shop I could send it to that could give it a tune-up, clean the groundglass, replace the mirror foam, maintenance stuff like that with getting into a big project and mining me for a bunch of money? I live in Phx but don't have any experience with shops at all. It makes me nervous thinking about handing it over to some guy and him deciding to finance his next vacation on me.