511+902 on a belle

valvecue

"I recall reading that the 806 is not as extended as the 902, is this truly significant?"

It may be, it may not be. I think this depends somewhat on the diapragm in them.

I think a bigger point is with any of the 8xx series they all used Alinco magents which may have lost some of their magentism over the years. They might need to be sent it to be remagnetised which would add cost and the question of if they need it or not.

With the 9xx series they use ceramic magents and don't have this issue.

Shawn

valve---The 806 sounds as extended as the 802 and 902 to me. It's a good driver, was used in thier home hi-fi type speakers where the extra efficiency of the 802 wasn't needed.

As has been mentioned Alnico magnets can weaken, especially if overpowered and blown. But if the 806s were never blown the magnets are most likely OK.

As the photo shows I've used both 806s and 902s. I'd prefer the 902 but wouldn't hesitate to use 806s, especially if the price was right.

post-6913-13819261513204_thumb.jpg

Do any of you have pictures/diagrams of the loading caps for a 902-8B? I am unable to run my 511B/902-8B with a 1st order crossover at 600 Hz. The diaphragms buzz at 80 dB and above. I need to know what to check to see if my still has them.

John,

If you take the back cover off and can see the diapragm you don't have the loading caps in it.

If you take the back cover off and there is a black plastic cap over the diapragm you have them.

You might have bad diapragms (or maybe misaligned ones) if you are getting buzzing like that. I had one 902 that was buzzing if I turned it up much at all and that was with Al's Extreme Slope networks. Luckily I had a few extra 902s so I swapped it out.

Shawn

----------------

On 2/4/2005 5:21:09 PM John Albright wrote:

Do any of you have pictures/diagrams of the loading caps for a 902-8B? I am unable to run my 511B/902-8B with a 1st order crossover at 600 Hz. The diaphragms buzz at 80 dB and above. I need to know what to check to see if my still has them.

----------------

John, I changed the 8ohm diaphragms to 16ohm in my 902's and have pix. I have dial-up here at home, and am leaving town AM. Will be back the 15th. PM me if you still want photos,and I will send them to you at that time.

Regards,

Terry

PS: I cross at 600hz and they sound wonderful........

What is this that I have done?

I was just too excited and could not wait for my first order crossover. I replaced the k-55/400 with the 511/902. I clipped it to tap 3 in the autoformer, following a lead in one of the threads suggesting the same, except for a type a crossover. Remember that i am using an AB crossover.

It worked fine and sounded better to my ears. The weight and body of the midrange improved. The forwardness leaned back without necessarily losing the 3d/in-the-room presence horns are known for. And somehow the bass became a little enhanced. I also thought that I would hear a bump somwehwere in the crossover point, but then again- could be psychoacoustic.

i tried it with and without a variable l-pad. i left the l-pad out.

Can anyone provide me an explanation why this would sound better...or do you all recommend i go visit an ear doctor?

Oh No, you apparently ruined them by listening to them "too soon", that is, without the appropriate waiting period, and allowing them to become acclimated to your particular environment and musical tastes, so that they could "ripen on the wire", as it were.9.gif

Pack them up and send them to me immediately as you clearly cannot be left in possession of these fine instruments of audio horn-driven Nirvanna. It takes respect and patience to bring them to full fruition.

If you send them quickly enough, I still might be able to save them.9.gif

DM10.gif