Linking computers

ignorance_is_not_bliss

Okay, here's the rub... I have 2 computers... one runs windows 98, the other XP. I want to get files from the old puter (98) and put them on my new one, however, I don't have a cd burner in that puter any longer. Is it possible to use a router, and network the computers, without using the internet connection required for the router? I know that sound foncusing, but I'm trying to explain it the best way I know how.

When reading the instructions for the linksys router, it allows multiple computers to be connected to the internet, also allowing file sharing between computers. (if I am reading that right) Is it possible to just connect the 2 puters, without being connected to the net?

Yes... if the computers are connected to the router, it is also acting as a hub. If you're not running software firewalls you should be able to search for the name of the other computer from Network Places of each of the computers.

There is also a way to network 2 computers without a hub, and it's using a "crossover cable" which is a network cable where a pair of contacts have been flipped. You can buy a 6-footer for around $10 or so at Staples, OfficeDepot, CompUSA, etc...

you re right colin.

now it depends on ignorance_is_not_bliss s budget and if he often uses the two pc at the same time.

another solution for an activ equipment will be a switch wich is cheaper than a router and alow you to make some lan game party.but to share an internet connection it will be less effective.

Thanks for the options folks... I already own the router, and truth be told, the puter with win98 is going to be trashed after I get the olf files off it... though running the HD with win98 as a slave would be helpful with space, the question would remain: will the master HD recognize the slave hd, and be able to run both OS's, without conflicts?

wouldn't mind keeping the old puter, but its in serious need of upgrade, and just not worth the processor upgrades.