New(?) alternative to Project, Rega, Musichall....

maxg

Kinda slipped under my radar screen but Tony just went out and picked up a Goldring GR1 plug and play record player for 250 euros all in including a cartridge.

The mount is non-standard and the arm is some kind of cut down RB250 but apparently it is amazing for the money. Not the last word in detail but if you are a mellow blues, soft jazz, relaxed classical sort of person it might be a real nice and cheap way into analogue.

I think Tony will have his another week or so before he sells it to get something better. Maybe a bargain coming for someone not in the US (power supply difference).

According to the dealer its arm is better than the Project debut but the table is not as well put together.

Does need a phono stage - but it is apparently a very good match to the project phono box which can be picked up on epay for very little these days, used.

You pays your money - you makes your choice. Probably sounds better than most $200 CD players.....

I promise you that Tony is very much real - although I can see why you might think otherwise.

max%20and%20tony.jpg?dc=4675288518610490

I am on the left - Tony on the right - taken a couple of years back on a cruise. We were heading off to the captain's table for dinner - hence the Tux's.

----------------

On 2/2/2005 4:23:29 AM edwinr wrote:

Very distinguished there young Max. Now the questions is, would I buy a used car off you gentlemen?

----------------

Not with the financing deal we can give you on a new one! This is your lucky day - doors, wing mirrors, engine, seats - the whole shamoly - all for only $299 per month for the rest of your natural....

Max, you are quite the dapper young man with that bow tie. Looks like you guys are having a great time on the cruise.

It is interesting to follow your posts on TT's. I've been out of TT's (except for DJ purposes for a while) since I got my first CD player in 1984. Was an early adopter. When the price came down to $600 I jumped. Never looked back. Read an article later that year that only 50K Americans owned one. Finding CD's was even a challenge. They were all approaching $20 and if a store had them, rare, but if they did they'd sit on a rack no wider than a small desk. Though I listened to my 8 or 10 CD's more than the boxes full of LP's.

I do have to say I'd really like to hear some vinyl and what my ears tell me about it. Can't imagine making that plunge again, but sure would like to hear it again.

Thanks for the post. And we really do need to get some Klipsch speakers to you in Greece.