active/passive preamp

RJD

I have been reading about preamps that can be used in either the active or passive mode. What do these terms mean and should there be a control knob on the unit to switch between modes? Also, would there be a sound difference between the two?

Thanks1.gif

The best I can remember (I'm probably wrong) the active one plugs into the wall and the passive one doesn't. I even heard of some preamps (not just for headphones or phono stages) that operate on batteries. Takes all the AC hum out of the system.

I also think it has alot to do with how the adjustment(s) work, attenuated or otherwise.

Guest Anonymous

the above statement is right, i have never seen a ss passive pre-amp though, but they may be out there, you often find this type of question more asscoitated with tube pre-amps because they are a lot more sensitive... furhter more i have never seen one that has both but then againn those could exsist too as i have not looked into this really heavily, there should be a difference in sound as well

I have an ADCOM Straight Line Controller. It is a passive "preamp" for lack of better description. No power. It simply allows for volume control and balance of the amp and allows the hook up of audio and video components, allows dubbing. No bass/treble. It has 0% any type of distortion. Essentially, the volume control is a "brake" for lack of a better term.

Its a very nice piece, and I use it for 2 channel listening sometimes.