RF35 impression?

Mike S

Hi all...I am new to these forums and have just purchased my "first" Klipsch speaker system. Currently driving them with Denon 4802 and (3) Outlaw M200 monoblocks for the front array. I am letting Denon drive the rears. I purchased Rf35/RC35 for the fronts and RF15's for the rears...strictly a 5.1 setup.

I keep reading reviews where the overiding impressions are that Klipsch are "bright" and have too much treble energy. Comparing my RF35's to the B&W Nautilus 804's (which I own)...I would not say they are bright at all. If anything they don't seem to have as much extension in the very top end. I feel the Klipsch have superior "mid-range" warmth and imaging....but perhaps are not as refined at the very top end. I don't mean this in a negative sense...it may be that the B&W are, themselves, too bright. I can't say which is more accurate? I love the warmth and presence of the Klipsch...and after getting use to their (rather forward/lively) presentation...feel the B&W's are sort of flat and 2 dimensional! Am I out in left field here??? Any input would help regarding others impressions of the very top end tweeter response. It may be that I need to get used to the "horn" characteristics.16.gif

You're absolutely right. That's why we're Klipsch fans -> Klipsch speakers can create a real, living soundstage. I've heard the B&Ws and I thought they were a tad on the bright side, and certainly 2-dimensional.

The thing about Klipsch speakers is that their sensitivity reveals the imperfections in the equipment that powers them. They can be piercingly bright with a cheap receiver, but they open up (and warm up) with abundant clean power.

Thats how I feel about my F-3s and Pioneer 814k, bright and lacks the power and warmth required for what I listen to. I have been very very interested on getting a pair of the outlaw 200 M-monoblocks. They seem like a great way to drive my speakers with my limited budget. Have you tried doing an A/B comparison with your outlaws vs the denon driving the speakers?

Thanks for all the feedback! I have had more time to listen to the RF35's and really like their warm presentation. I A/B'd the RF35's directly against the Axiom M80's, the Boston Acoustics VR2's and the B&W Nautilus 804's....and have determined that I prefer the sound of the Klipsch....overall. It's the midrange I keep coming back to. For example, on the new Mark Knopfler CD "Shangri-La"...his voice has much more depth and richness on the Klipsch. The Axiom has more extension in the tweeter..but tends to get a little edgy with extensive listening (very good speaker, however...but I am sending them back...ouch.) The VR-2's are really nice...but are slightly bloated on the bottom end (when driving them full range.) The B&W's are very nice for 2 channel...but are too polite for double duty/hometheater application....plus they cost too D--- much!

Answering the post regarding Denon vs Outlaw. I can't really hear any sonic difference at moderate listening levels. Both sound identical. When you start "cranking it" the outlaw monoblocks seem to have more authority over the woofers...less flutter. I also feel more comfortable knowing that I won't clip the signal at higher volumes...looks cooler too! The Denon has a great pre-amp stage and is a really good match for the Outlaws.3.gif