have half....

wyattearp

Hello all,

And thanks for all the advice so far.

Have received my center (KLF-C7) and ordered my AVR (Pioneer VSX 1014TX-K, w/ a DV-578A), all to go with my KLF-20s. Should I invest in whires (that's the way it's said in eastern NC...) and cables, or use what comes with the units. I hope...

What are ya'll using? (yeah, eastern NC agin)

Have a 32" 5 year old JVC TV and gonna look at a larger/better screen next, before surrounds and sub. My viewing area is .....hard to explain. One large room with a partial partition seperating part of the kitchen from the living room(theater). Oh, also has a vaulted ceiling. Yep, probably gonna need a BIG sub.

Anyhoo, I'm accepting suggestions for TVs. Something with a wide viewing area. I'm thinking in the 3 grand range, but may go to 5 if it'll be worth it. Haven't done much research and sort of dread it since there's SO much out there now. I thank you in advance for your information. Your vast knowledge amazes me. (That laying it on thick enough?) Tanks!11.gif

A good buddy of mine has a Samsung DLP 61 inch monitor.

As is typical, this has one DLP chip and a color wheel. Some people say they can see occasional rainbow effects. I've only caught that once and it was not on regular program. Just in a channel change over when there was a burst of something or other.

The Samsung's picture is very sharp, colors are wonderful, it is doesn't have issues of burn in that I've heard of, and it is not very deep or heavy.

The only part which may require replacement is the bulb. Not cheap, but less expensive than three CRTs.

I'm planning on buying one of these. Maybe in the next production cycle, or the current model after the Superbowl.

Because of its relative light weight and bulk, I might make up a wheeled cart to allow experimentation with placement. One location for daily use, another when company comes over.

This sort of thing may or may not be an issue with you. Something to think about.

Best,

Gil

Hello Wyatt. I don't know if the cables supplied will be of the shielded variety. I would go to Rat Shak and buy THIER brand of interconnects. They are quite good and very reasonably priced. DO NOT let them sell you Monster ANYTHING. Biggest rip off there is.

As for speaker wire, go down to the local H. depot and get some 14 ga speaker wire. I bought a 250 ft roill for ~$ 40 or so four years ago, and it sounds just great with my Cornwalls. Take the cash you save and go buy yourself some DVDs.1.gif

Yeah, what Gil said on the TV.

I have the Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K and also the 578A just like you. You will the Pioneer, really great receiver for the money. Theh MCACC alone is worth the price.

I bought the Sony Rear Projection 42' WEGA, but doing it again, I would look at the Samsung DLP units very closely. I like the Sony, but didn't have all my facts on the Samsung, and it is coming down in price now that X-mas has passed. (all of them are)

I agree with the other guys.. bluejeancanles.com ot Rat Shak house brand. No need for anything more. Stay away from the mad Monsters, unless you like burning money.

Spend good money on interconnects - you'll appreciate it, definitely in the video end.

Save the money on speaker wire - there's just not enough difference to justify spending more than 50 cents a foot on wire to hook up speakers.

Oh - and that's coming from someone who reps for a company that manufactures $6,000 a pair (10m) speaker wires that have to be special ordered....

OK, the video interconnects, what do I need? TV will accept S-video and component, I think. Do I need both to run from the DVD? Have some Monster for audio out of the TV that I bought when I was young and stupid. A couple years ago! LOL! Guess I can use em for something...RCA plugs I think.

----------------

On 2/3/2005 8:31:17 PM wyattearp wrote:

Have a 32" 5 year old JVC TV and gonna look at a larger/better screen next, before surrounds and sub. My viewing area is .....hard to explain. One large room with a partial partition seperating part of the kitchen from the living room(theater). Oh, also has a vaulted ceiling.

----------------

Just curious. It sounds like you want to make this a dedicated theater. Are you able to alter lighting levels sufficient to support an actual projector? Or is this more of a general viewing application? If the former, you could spend between $2500-$3000 with an overhead projector and get a viewing area of up to 100 inches in HD, completely eliminate any equipment on the floor, and still accept all of your digital and analog sources. Just a thought.

I had thought about a projector, but surround placement for this arrangement would be difficult. Either directly beside/over the sitting area, or behind the partition on one side. It's a shorter viewing distance also. Also there are 2 windows and a sliding glass door that face east and let in much light until late in the day. I'm working on treatments to soften the light from these, but totally darkening them would make it appear I had an indoor-grow operation! To view the screen the long way would put it in front of the windows and fireplace or a foyer and hall the other way. The house has a unique floor plan. Great for parties, hard to design/build a surround system for. I may possibly build in the next few years and will probably design a dedicated room(s) for HT. I want some Khorns! Thanks for the post though!2.gif