Viewing height for plasma

st. patrick

i searched for viewing height, viewing elevation, screen height, etc and got zip...........but i know i have seen it discussed here.....i think, but can't remember the magic words. At least i tried, eh?

question: getting a 50 inch panasonic plasma (well , my friend is but i got volunteered to help install it).... my recollection is that viewing height should be calculated when sitting, and the eyes should be at the level of the line dividing the top third and middle third of the screen, in other words, eye level should be somewhat above the half way point.

am i close or am i so far off that i am looking out of my belly button again?? thankyou in advance. patrick

That is my recall about a post also.

Computers come with some info on screen height. I believe they are talking about the same. Horizonally level with the eye at least. Maybe the same is being applied to home TV.

Note that when there were desk top computers, putting the monitor on top of the computer box made that happen. Now towers are the rage and people have to stack up books.

Its being played out again in TV.

With the older CRT, rear projectors, the screens were just naturally elevated because of the bulk of the unit and the mass of elements in the lower part.

Now we've got some light and thin sets which come with short risers (for an extra charge) but even those don't really get them up to eye level.

OTOH, some of the Samsungs come with a post-like pedistal, perhaps in recognition that elevation is indeed helpful.

Gil

That goes for all non picture tube TV's. Just walk in any store and move your head up and down from the horizontal center line and watch the picture get worse.

Then again, common sense alone would tell you that you want the center line of the TV to be at eye level while sitting down. Do you want to look up or down while watching TV? Only if your into doing neck exercises while watching TV. Think comfort.

Hi, yeah comfort is the key here. That, and how the picture sound, lines up with our Klipsch(plug & proud owner) speakers. Make it work.

All monitors are designed to be viewed at off horizontal and verticle axis angles, some more than others. Think of all the seat/viewing angles in a movie theatre, as after all that's what we're trying to replicate.

Is it live... or just a TV? - I don't think so.

----------------

On 2/5/2005 10:17:40 AM Chris Robinson wrote:

I have a 50" Panny and I sit about 11' from it, sitting on a sofa. My eyes are horizontally aligned with the bottom edge of the screen, so I'm kind of looking upward at it. I find this to be a very comfortable arrangement, since I'm usually leaning back while vegging on the couch
9.gif

----------------

And with the progressive bifocals that many of us 50 somethings wear, the slightly higher height makes it easier to focus on the top part of the lenses which are for distance viewing.

----------------

On 2/7/2005 6:11:17 PM Gramas701 wrote:

you'll find that you will get the "brightest" picture at eye level, if you mount it up higher most people end up cranking the birghtness....

----------------

My plasma looks pretty much the same from all angles. Don't know why you'd crank the brightness.

Guest Anonymous

vertical viewing angels from extremes will affect the brightness and by mounting it up hihger it is less bright and therefore to compensate for tat they crank it up