What is / How can I make a "Cornscala"

thomwake

Someone posted a reply to one of my questions and mentioned something called a "Cornscala". What is a "Cornscala" and what do you have to do to make one. I am building a pair of LaScalas and integrating them into my entertainment system. As I understand, the Cornwalls have a better bass response than the LaScalas. I can see the advantages to this which makes me curious about a "hybrid" speaker with the best of both worlds. Am I right or am I way off track. Another poster said that Bob Crites designed this creation. I have bought some speakers from him so Bob, if you read this please help ---- Anyone help!!! Thanks in advance, Thom

Bob,

Great idea and design. I am very new to all of this and I am continually amazed. Just bought some K-33s from you and getting ready to get the horns. I've got all the stuff to build Al K's crossovers. Do I need to change? I own my own cabinet shop. What do I need to do? Thom.

Is it possible to purchase new K55 drivers? I bought some cornwall parts a bit ago and got K57's instead, one of which was blown. Wonder if a new K55 would mate up to my K601 composite Cornwall horn?

The problem with Cornscala, as I see it, is that the Cornwall std box is wide, tall and very shallow (about 15") and will barely house it's own horn/driver set. You have to modify the box dimensions extensively to accomodate the K400/K401 horn. Unless you have a very good engineering background, don't you have to stay with the same box volume and port volume for the K33 to work right in the Cornscala box?

Has anyone out there built one of these that works?

Michael

The K-55X is probably available but expect to pay about $325 or more for a single one. Cheaper to buy a pair of K-55V's off eBay.

In addition, they will NOT mate to the K-601 horn as those midrange drivers are secured with three or four screws and nuts instead of a threaded insert like on the K-600 horn.

The only different abgout Bob's incarnation is the addition of the K-400 horn. You could make it a little smaller by using a K-500 (Belle Horn) good luck finding one though.

----------------

On 2/7/2005 11:46:23 PM thomwake wrote:

Bob,

Great idea and design. I am very new to all of this and I am continually amazed. Just bought some K-33s from you and getting ready to get the horns. I've got all the stuff to build Al K's crossovers. Do I need to change? I own my own cabinet shop. What do I need to do? Thom.

----------------

I used a modified Type A crossover design (or modified type B) for the Cornscala. Some changes would have to be made to any of the existing crossover designs for the Cornscala. That modification though is only one different capacitor value for a Type A or B crossover.

Bob Crites

By the way, I have some K-401 horns.

----------------

On 2/8/2005 9:19:03 AM Frzninvt wrote:

The K-55X is probably available but expect to pay about $325 or more for a single one. Cheaper to buy a pair of K-55V's off eBay.

In addition, they will NOT mate to the K-601 horn as those midrange drivers are secured with three or four screws and nuts instead of a threaded insert like on the K-600 horn.

The only different abgout Bob's incarnation is the addition of the K-400 horn. You could make it a little smaller by using a K-500 (Belle Horn) good luck finding one though.

----------------

Or, you could use the Atlas PD-5VH driver which is relatively inexpensive purchased new.

Bob Crites

Bob, that means that your box could be a suitable CNC machined replacement for those of us wanting a 'vertical' cornwall for center channel use. In my case, I'd just ask for the box with no motor board so I could mount my K601 and K77 for a horizontal box orientation (box lying on side, horns going sideways- geesh get so tired of typing hor... and ver...) and since volumes are the same, K33 would fit beautifully.

I know K601 takes up less volume than K401, hey I'll put a brick in the box to take up the extra space ok? LOL

Did you still have a CNC guy who would carve those boxes out? I KNOW Damonpayne is intersted cause he bought 1/2 my corn components. I'd rather have a perfectly built box as whittle one myself. Would the wood be MDF and suitable for veneer of our choice?

Michael

Michael,

The cabinet shop could crank out any number of the ones like I had built. I am ordering another set today for a customer that are the same as I had built before except that these will be made of 3/4 inch cabinet grade Maple plywood. The price will of course be more for the Maple than for the MDF.

Now here is the problem (actually two problems) and I don't see the answer to either. I could have this same shop plot out a cornwall box, but the horn is the problem. I wanted the K-401 in mine so did not have to worry about fitting a horn inside a box. It is just on top of the bass bin. I don't know where to find a horn that is being manufactured now and will fit in the Cornwall size box.

Problem number two is that these things will always cost more than real Cornwalls are selling for. The parts to build a pair them (new parts supposing you could find that horn) will run around $1000.00. That will buy you a nice set of vintage Cornwalls. Add more to that if you wanted them to look as nice as that vintage set of Cornwalls.

Bob

Rick,

The only other horn I have tried on the Cornscala so far is a modified K-401 that had been shortened and adapted to use a bolt on 2 inch driver (a community M-200). I don't know how a K-700 would work. Might be a stretch to get the K-33E to blend in with that one. Pretty easy though to try it.

Bob

Bob

So I will still be able to use all the stuff I have bought to build Al K's crossover except for one capacitor change. If this is right, what do I change and how (I'm sure it is simple, but remember, I'm a cabinet maker not an electrical engineer). I also have a CNC machine, so will you give me all the dimensions / plans to make a cabinet for a Cornscala, because it sounds like you got it right!! By the way, when I bought the K-33's from you, you gave me some prices on K-401's and PD-5VH's about a month ago. Are these prices still good because I'm ready to buy!! Thanks, Thom

Thom,

Actually, I don't have all the measurements for the Cornscala. Those are in the cabinet shops CNC router. I could of course measure them. When I had the motor board built, I just took him the drivers told him to make cutouts for them centered and that the two ports were a number of square inches divided by two and centered.

Al would have to advise you on use of his crossover on the Cornscala. You though likely have all the parts there to make one like I used. You would need an autotransformer, a 2.5 mH inductor and two caps. (a 2 uF and a 7 uF).

Yes, prices I gave you earlier are still good.

Bob

Bob, mine could be any size cabinet that would fit my already purchased Cornwall parts. I have K33 woofer, K601/K57 mid and K77 tweet. They'd probably all fit your motor board and depth wouldn't be a problem. Just looking for a go-around to building my own box. I'll be reveneering 4 other corns at same time so MDF or Birch or regular ply would be okay. Prefer mitered corners. Any idea how much $ for a single set of box components, shipped flat? DamonPayne might be interested in a similar box. We could do our own motor boards.

This is assuming that you can bring my K57 back to life. Will ship you componenets per our email this week.

Thanks

Michael

Michael,

I can get more cut out just like mine really easy, but any change other than a different size cutout in the motor board or made from different material is a lot more difficult. Ones just like I had made before for me out of MDF would be $100.00 each.

Really unless you wanted to use the bigger K-400 or K-401 horn, I can't see why you would want one of these things made.

Bob