Any opinions on a good subwoofer cable?

D-Rex

when i have both l and r connected and then switch to one connection, there is a spl drop thats noticable to my ears.

as for the cable, if not bluejeans, consider partsexpress.com. they have some decent Dayton audio and AR sub cables.

scp53

edit post- just realized Ken already pointed towards pe for cables(i should have read the whole post). didnt mean to repeat the message. sorry

Guest Anonymous

i personally do not like AR cables despite the fact that they have gotten good ratings, but i can admit that the mon$ter bass 300 sounds better than the ar cable, i reccomend audio quest personally or dayton or bluejeans,

Audioquest are getting into the higher end of things. They have entry-level stuff, such as their Sidewinder interconnects, but most of their stuff is on the level of Kimber, Cardas, Analysis Plus, etc.

A lot of retailers carry them, but the best place to get them online is www.audioadvisor.com

I'd also put my vote in for BlueJeans... good quality, no-nonsense cables.

----------------

On 2/9/2005 10:43:21 AM D-Rex wrote:

Is there any benefit to splitting the ends to connect both left and right plugs?

----------------

Only if you have your subwoofer's "gain" set at it's maximum.

Using L&R inputs in will increase the output by 3db for your CURRENT gain setting... but it won't increase the total capacity of the sub's output. If you rebalance the system... you will have to turn down the sub by 3db in your processor. The sub's maximum output is usually controlled by the driver's limitations.

Later...

Rob

Rob (Formica) Let me get this right, If I'm currently just using the mono input to sub from receivers .1 channel, set up the eq (Yamaha YPAO) and let it balance out, THEN use dual leads to deliver voltage to both L+R inputs on sub, there will be a +3db gain?

That would be just the thing to use occasionally when a movie requires that you really blast it. Lots easier than the deep menu settings you'd have to get to otherwise.

btw, does anyone know what keeps us from feeding too much signal into a sub, thereby blowing it up? My ksw12 really gets pumping sometimes and I don't want to damage it. Is there some time of input voltage 'regulator' that limits the input signal so it doesn't overdrive? Sorry for weird terminology here. Please correct.

Michael