Would this be a good set-up? Any Suggestions

thennig

I bought my first surround sound set-up (Klipsch Quintet II) last year. Ever since then, I am hooked on home sound systems!

Anyway, I am slowly upgrading my surround sound system. Right now I have the Klipsch Quintet,a pair of ss-.5, and a 10" Klipsch subwoofer that is kooked up to a 7.1 surround sound set-up. I also just bought a pair Synergy F-2 floor speakers that are hooked up to the front "B" option (I have a Yamaha Receiver that has two frontal hook-ups an "A" option which is the 7.1 surround sound option and a "B" option which only activates an additional frontal pair speakers). When I play music and movies I have both, "A" and "B" selected; I find this set-up to sound better.

So the question is... I would like to enhance the option "A" surround sound set-up to this:

Surround Sound Set-up

B-2

C-1

S-1

SS-.5 (Keeping these speakers for behind)

KSW-10 (Keeping the subwoofer from the Quintet system)

and then of course option frontal speakers "B"

F-2

Would this type of set-up make sense to do? Do surround sound users select both terminal options for listening? Are there any suggestions that I should consider?

Thank you for your time!

T

Hi, I've read that the HF's from two *disimiliar* tweeters *off-axis* will cause some sonic problems. I've also read about some that stack vertically, *similiarly* voiced, with the tweeters as close as possible(by inverting one), with good results.

With your arangement, you are cutting those *front surround* effects short, if it matters.

While my Yamaha RXV-2090 is only 5.1, it does have the front surround out-puts, but I've never tried them. I'm pretty happy with the 5-channel discrete alone.

Experimentation will cost little in your case.

Keep in mind the impedence runs lower with both A&B selected, although with 2 pairs of 8 ohmers the Yamaha should be OK.

I use my "B" terminals to run a pair of speakers out-doors on the patio.

16.gif

its hard to tell what you are building towards? especially since 7.1 doesent exist yet, except for bragging rights? my suggestion is slow down, reacess everything, right now all of the suggested systems raise 1 question in my mind. why? slow down, start out with a good receiver, yammie is far to bright for klipsch, begin with good front channels, and build from there. having such a mismatched system only makes the experience worse, not better

Actually, with the new Dolgby DLP IIX processing you get very credible 7.1 sound out of regular 5.1 and even stereo mixes (Starwars dog fight scenes sound fantastic!). On the other hand, I think you need to drop a G or two to get it implimented well right now. But I'm sure in the next year many midrange and eventually entry-level recievers will start implimenting it. How well remains to be seen.

It's good advice to start slow and get better componenets though. Even really good stereo will improve your movie watching experience (and obviously won't harm your music listening).

Good luck either way!

Scott

----------------

On 2/12/2005 6:23:18 PM marksdad wrote:

its hard to tell what you are building towards? especially since 7.1 doesent exist yet, except for bragging rights? my suggestion is slow down, reacess everything, right now all of the suggested systems raise 1 question in my mind. why? slow down, ----------------

Yeah, what marksdad said.

Listen to MARKSDAD...for he saved my life,

when I first got on the forum.

Learn to match the "timbre" of all the speaker components.

Stay within the same model line of Klipsch....

DO NOT MIX AND MATCH !!!!

FOCUS !

Marksdad :

Just being honest about what you did for me.

I am forever greatful to you for pointing out the flaws of MIX MATCHING speakers.

What is your mailing address brotha Mark?

You have definitely earned yourself a FREE Big Left Turn "Dreamship" CD !!

If anyone else wants a free cd..???

check out this link...

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=60746

Hey thennig, I really don't understand why you are needing extra channel. If your system is set right, ex. placement, angle, distance, sound pressure calibration, delay, re equalization and so on, it should sound great. Your equipment is right. Maybe hit Yamaha's web site. I would reread your Owner's manual, sometimes each reading you find something useful. 2.gif thanks donnie

Thanks everyone for your input!

I have decided not to use the "B" Option select and only use the "A" Option (which is the surround sound). I did some reconfiguration to the set up... so I have more questions.

Okay... my set-up sounds even better and I am really impressed by the F-2 floor speakers and the system. I am still using the Quintet speakers for the rear now. I spliced the speaker wire so that I can connect two Quintet speakers for each rear channel and having them facing at different angles (kinda like bi-directional, I am not sure that's the correct terminology). So my set-up consists:

Front = F-2 Floor Speakers

Center channel = Quintet Center Channel

Side rear = ss-.5

Rear = 2 per rear channel (remember I have a 7.1) quintet speakers

Sub = 10"

So my questions are... is it okay to splice the channel and connect to speakers perchannel. I noticed klipsch recommends various speakers for the F-2, can I use the quintets for part of the surround sound? Since I am in the process of upgrading a center channel what model would be better the C-2 or C-3?

Thanks for all the help!!!!!

T.1.gif