Jimmy Smith music

colterphoto1

FOr those of us too late to hear this master of the Hammond B3 live, would some of his true fans please recommend an available CD or two that would be either, masterful recordings with an all-star cast, or energetic live recordings that show Jimmy Smith at his smokin best.

I'm sure many of us would like to add a definitive disc or two to our collections. Please don't tease with out-of-print or horrendously expensive offerings.

Thanks,

Michael

These are a few of my favorites:

The Sermon (Blue Note)

Bucket (Blue Note)

Prayer Meeting (Blue Note)

The Cat (Verve)

These are just a few of my favorites and are all available on CD. I have the LPs which are fantastic. They're pretty easy to find on ebay if you're patient. If you want more suggestions, I could name about 10 more off the top of my head. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites also.

This is what you should buy:

http://www.bluenote.com/detail.asp?SelectionID=10366

73165.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002Y4TUQ/qid=1108139494/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-4264352-5529539?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

If you don't want to lay out $50, just buy these two:

Back at the Chicken ShackGroovin' at Smalls' Paradise

"Back at the Chicken Shack" and "Groovin' at Smalls Paradise"

That way you'll have some killer trio stuff plus one with a horn (Stanely Turrentine)

You could substitue this one for "Chicken Shack" as well

Sermon

The title cut is killer--Tina Brooks, Lou Donaldson, Kenny Burrell and Lee Morgan GO OFF on that loping blues riff.

The Sermon is without question a fabulous album and I'm guessing his most famous by far. I love Chicken Shack too. Prayer Meeting and Bucket are very soulful albums and are two of my favorites. One that doesn't get as much attention is "The Cat." It was my first Jimmy Smith album and is made up of tunes from the film "Joy House" (at least some if not all). French maybe? It has a fairly large orchestra including Kenny Burrell on guitar and is conducted by Lalo Schifrin.

I played a couple cuts from The Cat at the Indy get-together last year. It has that great early/mid-sixties sound.

If I had to pick ONE Jimmy Smith LP is would be "Groovin' at Smalls Paraside" which was originally issued as TWO records (BLue Note 1585 and 1586) but has been available as a double CD for some time in the "RVG" Blue Note reissue series.

I choose this one because it is a trio date and there are no horns to get in the way--that's not to say I don't LOVE the horn records--I do--in fact I probably play them MORE often than the trio dates. Many of the trio sessions were made up of "pretty" ballads in the hope that Smith would cross over and actually SELL some records-- and he DID--Lion and Wolff were considering shutting Blue Note down before Jimmy Smith came along and started selling enough records to pay the bills! What makes "Groovin at Smalls Paradise" so special is that it captures Smith live in a small, smokey Harlem club--you can hear him TOYING with the audience. His playing here is SO assured, SO masteful and he REALLY digs in--SOUL! And this is a WORKING trio who had been playing together for well over a year and it shows.

I usually play both of the LPs back to back with no break when I pull them out--you can close your eyes and you're THERE in 1957 Harlem with the Jimmy Smith trio putting it ALL on the line for you.

DAMN!