LaScala project

ull3030

I have owned a pair of LaScala cabints for over ten years, I do not have any of the original componets (Cabs only). My uncle used them with his classic rock band through out the 1970's into the early 1990's. The cabinets are black and are road worn, the bottoms of the cabinets have considerable wear , the rest of the cabinet appears ok considering the road time. Would these be ok to use as a small PA system for DJ use? Where do I start? Can I use any other speaker then the original, or would I only be wasting my time, or degrading the Klispch cabinet. My uncle was killed in a motorcycle accident several years ago, so these are kind of sentemental. Thanks for any help

Michael

----------------

On 2/12/2005 12:52:03 AM ull3030 wrote:

I have owned a pair of LaScala cabints for over ten years, I do not have any of the original componets (Cabs only). My uncle used them with his classic rock band through out the 1970's into the early 1990's. The cabinets are black and are road worn, the bottoms of the cabinets have considerable wear , the rest of the cabinet appears ok considering the road time. Would these be ok to use as a small PA system for DJ use? Where do I start? Can I use any other speaker then the original, or would I only be wasting my time, or degrading the Klispch cabinet. My uncle was killed in a motorcycle accident several years ago, so these are kind of sentemental. Thanks for any help

Michael

----------------

In my opinion La Scala's can/should only have original components.Paul Klipsch did it right ands nothing else is going to come close. It will be costly,but worth it. The necessary parts show up on Ebay frequently.

Since the cabinets are black they can be brought back. See my thread on "Piano Black La Scala's".

Keith

Sorry to hear of your Uncle's accident. You do have some very fine mementos of his love of music. They would be excellent for DJ or PA use. Do the Right Thing. Put them back in original shape- the way that PWK engineered them - and your Uncle listened to them. In almost all areas, the original speakers will be far better than any replacements.

But don't throw away any 'blown' speakers or drivers because they can be reconed or new diaphrams installed far less expensively than purchasing new speakers. Contact BEC (Bob Crites of this Forum, usually found in modifications) if that is the case. He can rebuild K33 woofers, K55 mid drivers, and K77 tweeters. For heavy duty PA use, you might consider the K43 woofer, is has more power handling. And possibly adding jacks to bi-amp the speakers if you know how to do this. I used LS for years in disco, club and DJ use. They absolutely ROCK!

Contact Klipsch for new units or eBay or the Forums if you need replacements.

Good Listening. Just for fun, when you get them running, play one of your Uncle's favorite bands first. Cry a bit if you want to, they'll sound sweet.

Michael

Those La Scalas will make perfect PA/DJ speakers.

The woofers that came in those La Scalas are likely to be K-43s, about $250+ each. If they are K-33s, or you want to install K-33s, new ones are about $130 each, now. K-33s have a 100 watt power rating and the K-43s have a 250 watt power rating. K-43s are marginally more efficient than K-33s, so they might sound a little warmer. Do your best to keep the original woofers. If you can't tell which one it should have been, we will be glad to help. If in doubt, use K-33s.

K-55-V and K-55-M squawkers come up on eBay regularly, in good shape. K-401 squawker horns are (were) about $50 each new from Klipsch. If the K-400 squawker horns are no in there, the 401 is just as good. Solder terminal K-55-Vs are the most desireable, but I can't hear the difference. If you can't find K-55-Vs on your time table, Atlas Sound PD-5VH drivers are a direct replacement at about $160 each, new. However, both K-55s can be overhauled to as new performance for roughly $75 each. There is a new version available through Klipsch, but it may be as high as $300 each and Klipsch says it is not exactly right for the old crossovers.

The tweeters are K-77-Ms. They are also available on eBay regularly and can be repaired if blown. In a pinch the old K-77 with AlNiCo magnets can be used, but will only have a 2 watt rating if the original diaphragm is still in there.

Crossovers are a lively topic here. There is improvement to be made in the crossover. If you have no crossovers, look for Type AA or Type AL-3. Avoid Type AL, except in an emergency. We have several designs floating around the Forums, but none are better than Klipsch for PA use. You can use one of our designs for home built crossovers.

The bottom plate is high quality 3/4" birch plywood. A reasonable substitute is available at Home Depot. Cut a new pair and find some sliders to keep them off of the floor.

With a little patience, they can be easily restored to original performance and even better, for that matter.