Benny Golson at the Jazz Bakery tonight . . .

Allan Songer

Just got home. Great set-fabulous quartet-- Bill Cunliffe on piano, Bob Magnusson on bass, Roy McCurdy on drums. Talk about an all-star L.A. trio! Golson looked and played GREAT, Opened the set with "Horizon Ahead" and closed it with a KILLER version of "Whisper Not." In between were a straight-up 4/4 hard bop workout on "Surrey with the Fringe on Top," "Killer Joe," a fast blues called "Pierre's Moment," "Body and Soul" (trio only, Benny laid out), a new tune called "Terminal One" which featured the amazing talents of Roy McCurdy. I've heard Golson play several times in the past and this is the BEST I've heard--he was really into it and the trio was really pushing him. What a ball!

And you know who I sat right next to? Fred Jackson! The legendary tenor man who released ONE BLue Note LP and appeared on Baby Face Willette's "Face to Face." I guess Benny and Fred are really close--it was a gas for me to meet him.

We have a new theater here called Strathmore which is going to host some jazz shows. I'm hoping some of these guys make a stop. Larry and I are going to a couple classical concerts there, the first being next weekend.

I was just listening to "Hootin' And Tootin'" last night! That must have been great Allan!

I was at Dodger stadium last summer and went to the head to take a leak between innings and guess who is standing right next to me at the urinal? Tom Hanks. We both walked over to wash our hands at the same time when I looked at him and said "loved you in Bosom Buddies." He laughed quite genuinely and said "thanks for making my day."

I have a friend who was the Set Decorator on both "Road to Perdition" and "Lady Killers" who tells me that Tom Hanks and Paul Newman are THE two nicest "stars" she has ever worked with--really, REALLY nice guys. Hanks was drivig a PT Cruiser and was taking alot of crap about his cheap car. He told everyone "I think they look cool and they're good on gas." He actually drives himself to the lot every day.

I think I'd like Tom Hanks.

I work with Tom Hanks' niece, haven't met him myself, but those I know who have all say the same thing, he's geniunely a nice, down to earth guy, not at all a 'Hollywood type'.

As for Benny Golson, would love to hear more of his live stuff, I really enjoy a couple of 'live' CDs that he was part of with Art Farmer in the 80's, Back to the City and Real Time.

64130.jpg64132.jpg

Maybe one of his Jazz Bakery performances will show up on a bootleg.