Outlaw Audio M200 and RF5

illthreat

Hello,

I'm looking at the M200 mono block amps by Outlaw.

The are rated at a conservative 200wpc.

Is this too much for my new maple RF5?

I am running a Yamaha HTR-5280 at the moment.. about 110wpc I believe..

I should notice a cleaner sound with the outlaw, right?

I love the yami, just need/want/like a little more umph...

Thoughts?

\

Thanks!

CHris

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm... okay... i've not read that yet...

thanks! :)

Quit being blunt if you have time, and tell me more about why you feel this way.

What tubes do you recommend?

I think for the $$ The Outlaw gear is hard to beat. Not wanting to spend more than $1000 on a 2ch. or x2 mono blocks right now.

Thanks for your input, you are the best guy ever to sport a Giant S as an avatar.

oh, and I would use it for HT also.. just music a little more

i agree that outlaw amplifers are not the best bang for the buck.....

if you want to get the lowest price amplifier with at least 200 watts per channel... get a crown XLS402...

a professional amp with 260 watts per side for under $400.... the outlaw monoblock that you mentioned x 2 would cost you $600 and probably sound not as good as the crown....

for more serious two channel listening - you will need to spend more than $600 for a new quality amp....

a lower cost option would be to check out used options on audiogon.... you can find many good options in two channel amps for under $1000!

You agree that outlaw ISN'T the best bang for buck... okay... who are you agreeing with? :)

So a crown XLS402.. i'll look into that.

I don't mind spending whatever money.. I just don't want to buy the most expensive stuff out there.

"Probably not sound as good".. I appreciate your advice.. but I'd love to hear from people who actually own outlaw gear. Not just speculating.

There are about 4 major reviews on Outlaw gear, and they all praise it....

What is a good tube amp I can get into?

you need to decide on what you want....

when you are asking about an entry level outlaw ss amp and a tube amp in the same post, it is pretty obvious you don't know what you want....

and there are always good reviews out there on almost any product..... they failed to mention that these outlaw monoblocks sometimes had shutdown problems in dealing with lower impedance speakers - just an indication of their lower capacity power supplies...

if you are researching a product, you need to read more than just a few reviews...... browse the forums and suddenly the real story behind a product appears....

btw - your speakers will handle that level of power easily... you will usually only run at 2 to 3 watts on average.... you only need the high power for the peaks and the bass control...

Russ,

I will decide what I want.. By researching. Why do you think I am here? How is it that I am conveying to you that I have no clue what is going on? Because I asked about a Tube amp? come on.. .give me a break.

I'm asking about an entry level solid state amp. Used in conjunction with Reference series speakers.

I also inquired where the price point of a tube amp starts. So what. I'm not sure how that shows anything other than I'm looking for info.

I came seeking information. I didn't come stating that I know everything there is to know and for all of you to shake in my presence...

And I can gaurantee I do use more power than 2 to 3 watts on average.

I made this post as SIMPLE as possible, as I was looking for people running these outlaw 200's and RF series speakers. I did not list all of the who-ha in my everyday life. :) So far, I have no gotten a response.

Thanks for your reply.. You have done more than what you intended on doing with your statements.

Now will the friendly people that I know lurk here, please raise their hand....

Power wise, all you need is a good 30W amp for two channel with the speakers you have. Now if you want to use it for movies, you will need some additional watts, but that is where you get into the trade-offs. The Outlaw you are looking at is a HT amp which will do 2 channel. Many of us with tube equipment have systems that are 2 channel orientated and don't do HT with them, or run a HT preamp through the system for HT purposes. The sound is supposed to be very accurate, which with Klipsch can mean on the "bright" side (great detail, just hard to listen to for more than 45 minutes).

Below are some comments I found from using the search window and entering Outlaw. There are some comments about the monoblocks and some about Outlaw/Klipsch matching.

just_me_the_dude has the same monoblocks and a pair of RF-3's so he could probably give the best response http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=41825&forumID=69&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={DA59AF7E-CA22-4233-AEA9-3DE52B8B6FE1}

A 2002 comment from Audible Nectar:

Krew, I am using an Outlaw 750 with my Klipsch Cornwall II as mains in my HT.

Some have said that this combo is "bright" or "harsh" - I think this depends on your taste and what other components are in the chain. I like to think of the Outlaw amp as "true and factual" - it does not hide anything, it amplifies whatever you put through it without coloration - warts and all.

If you have heard the ATI amps (or can demo one somewhere) - they are "brothers" so to speak - similar electronics, built in the same factory. This will give you somewhat of a demo, if you can find one of these.

Parasound, Denon, and B&K are some amps which are thought of as "warm" - which some prefer with the Klipsch. If the Outlaw is not to your liking, you may consider one of these.

A clean preamp will go a long way towards the sound you get - and the 950's initial reviews are stellar in terms of it's sound quality. I highly recommend this choice - I think that the 950/770 combo will have far better sonics than has ever been seen before at this combined price (about $2100 plus shipping) - an excellent deal for separates. Even if you buy another brand of amp, look closely at the 950 - there's a reason for the two month wait for orders. The 950 will break the price/performance barrier for HT preamps, to be sure. If you want a 950, get on the waiting list NOW - even if you are not sure. Outlaw will not charge you for it until it is ready for delivery - and you can simply decide not to buy it. They will not take your credit card info until it is ready to ship, so the reservation is "no obligation to buy".

Outlaw does allow for a 30 day return/refund policy if you don't like the gear. All you would be out is the shipping. Outlaw's customer service is excellent too - they are genuinely concerned about customer satisfaction.

Shapeshifter's comments:

Krew,

I'm using an Outlaw 750 as well. I agree with dndphishin's comment "I like to think of the Outlaw amp as "true and factual" - it does not hide anything, it amplifies whatever you put through it without coloration - warts and all. "

I'm very fond of mine and have used it with the RF-3 Series, Belles, Cornwalls, Quartets, Heresies and Academy's. Have never been disappointed with its performance for music or HT. I have only used my NAD T761 receiver as an output source. Have used Sony CD's/DVD and presently use a Denon DVM 3700 changer with this setup. The Outlaw 750 will remain in my HT setup well into the future.

Wes

----------------

On 2/18/2005 12:02:31 AM illthreat wrote:

....And I can gaurantee I do use more power than 2 to 3 watts on average.....
----------------

ah yes.....

demonstrating your high level of understanding of highly sensitive klipsch speakers....

you RF-5's are 99db @ 1 watt @ 1 meter...

for people like you who are here "to learn"... here is a calculator that explains to you what 3 watts of power will do with your speakers....

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

punch in the numbers... just guessing here.... 10 feet away from the speakers and the speakers are near a wall results in 100.1 db spl at your listening position with just 3 watts!!!!

are you learning anything yet?????

punch in 50 watts without changing anything else and you have over 112 db spl at your listening location...

good luck with your search!....

i'm sure that you have plenty of capacity to "learn" alot here....

Thank you very much, Wes!!!

Plenty of reading to do.

Russ,

I don't know what I want exactly. I want the best I can afford. Like everyone else. Please read on:

I haven't heard a tube amp in years, let alone on a pair of Klipsch. I am in the market for something better than my Yamaha HTR-5280. I don't know why; as I can obtain nice listening levels now. I'm simply seeking "better". And I haven't the foggiest...

So, being that I work; a lot. I came here to quickly post about the Outlaw m blocks, becuase I remember reading about them before here in this forum. So that is what really inspired my post. I searched first and after not coming up with much, I posted. Merely hoping to read something good or bad about them.

I appreciate any reply, but yours I misunderstood as disproportionally negative. I'm sorry if my previous reply was a bit nasty; but I really didn't come here with ALL of the answers.

That being said. I'm looking for an amp that is better than the Yamaha receiver I own now.

Tube, Solid State, or Paper. Just in "need" of "better".

Peace.

Thanks. I already know that. You needent worry about my wattage consumtion.

For the sake of your argument, here's a short reply:

Thanks Russ!! You are too kind!

But.. i guess what I wrote first is easier to understand for "you".

What is up with your attitude? are you always this much of a dick?

And yes I am here to "learn". What are you here for?

Just becuase I post a freaking question about an Outlaw amp, doesn't mean that I don't know **** about the speakers that I own. Or a simple efficiency spec.

I find you to be extremely rude. Thanks for your replies, I've learn so much from you. Oh wait.. that's not what you are here for.

Thanks for the replies.

ah yes....

second time in one day that i should have looked a poster's profile before posting....

with this in your profile

PC w/ 5,000+ .MP3

Dolby Digital Live (digital out)

XP 3200+ @ 2.4Ghz w/ 420Mhz FSB

1GB OCZ Plat. Rev2 3200 @ 210mhz

Asus A7N8X Deluxe MB

NVidia BFG 6800 GT OC 420MHz/1.10GHz

+ with Arctic Cooler NV5 Silencer

Maxtor 80GB, Maxtor 160GB, 7200rpm, 8mb cache

Asus/Lite On Optical Drives

you will probably not notice much improvement if any by purchasing a better amplifier than your yamaha receiver.....

the sound coming out of your speakers will only be limited by the weakest link in your signal chain.... and if you are lsitening to MP3's as your source - the last thing you need to upgrade is your amp....

i guess this whole negative discussion is my fault...... i should not try to offer sound advice to 25 yr old who listen to MP3's.....

btw - nice sound system.... wait - nice computer system with speakers

(no f***ing clue)

and why is that?

All knowing ********.. what bitrate are my files?

And I listen to more than mp3. I have plenty of files that I imported from cds through Apples Lossless Encoding system. So they are 1:1. No bit rate loss. So it's the same as a cd.

Once Again, thanks for your reply. And I'm 26 now.

Aren't you too old to be using the internet anyway?