RC-3 as rear surround

cbr600

I ordered a pair of RF-7. Currently have a pair of RS-3 and one RC-3. Thinking about upgrade my center to RC-7 to match with RF-7.

I have a Denon receiver 3802 can do 6.1/7.1

I am wondering if I can use RC-3 as rear surround. The back wall is only two feet away from listening position so I am not quite sure if I really need a pair of RS-3 on the back or not.

I purchased RS-3 and RC-3 from local store in less than a month. Still have chance to return or exchange in a few days.

Should I keep RS-3 and use RC-3 for rear surround or return all 3s and get 7s (two pairs of RS-7)?

I am new for HT system. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

First off, for a rear center you want a speaker to "localize" the sound, to work as a "seam", so to speak, between the ambient sound of your surround speakers. The perfect match with RF-7's in the front would be RS-7's for surrounds and an RC-7 for front and rear centers. As more and more 6.1 material appears, you'll be glad you matched them this way. That setup will also give you some killer rear bass, so make sure you set the 3 rear speakers also to "large"!

PhilH

Phil:

Thanks a lot. I am so glad to see your post because today is the last day I can return my RC-3 and RS-3 back to local retail store.

I returned RS-3, RC-3 and bought a pair of RS-7. Just finished mounting RS-7s on the side walls, pretty heavy speakers compared to RS-3.

Too bad, my RF-7 & RC-7 have not arrived yet. Can't wait to listen to the entire Reference 7 set.

I did the A/B comparison between RF-3 and RF-5. I like RF-5 better because the highs are more refined. Be honest, I have not even have chance to listen to RF-7. If everything I've been reading about RF-7 on this site is correct, I should like RF-7 if I like RF-5.

I guess with matching 7 series surround and center. At least, I will have a choice to set center and surround to large. My spending on new HT system is way over my original budget. However, I rather bite the bullet now so I won't need to think "what if" in the future.

I will probably buy a RC-7 for rear center in next few months. Need to wait a little bit. Otherwise,my wife will kill me for sure:-)

Shoud I mount the rear center the same height as my surround (6 and half feet)?

Also, my back wall is only 2 feet from listening position, I guess I will have to point the rear center down?

Last question, I am sure I will like RS-7 as surround speakers for HT. For music, what's the best matching surround speakers for 7 series? RB-5?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks again.

cbr600:

Sitting that close to the rear wall, the main consideration is to mount the RC-7 so that it's horn pattern covers your listening area. It radiates sound at a 90 degree horizontal by 60 degree vertical pattern. The other trick is that you mount surrounds higher in order to make it more difficult to "place" them (that they are there and where they are) in your mind as you hear them. Your rear center should be at the same height to make it harder to "place" also. In your case, the first consideration still should be to mount it so that the 60 degree pattern covers your listening area instead of radiating over your head to a point in front of you.

Of course, the best match for rears for 5-channel music with RF-7's would be another pair of RF-7's (excuse me, I'm drooling)! Then when your wife kills you, I could be the recipient in your will. But if you want to hang around the living a while longer, the RB-5's would make a pretty good match also.

PhilH

• 1 month later...