which cpu is better for gaming?

wheelman

Ok very close here so I am trying to figure what's going to give me a better gaming experience. Both are amd athlon xp's. Ok the amd athlon xp 2800+ barton core 333mhz fsb, 512k cashe, freq. 2.08ghz. Then theres the amd athlon xp 2700+ thoroughbred core (which I heard is great for overclocking) 333mhz fsb, 256 cashe, freq. 2.17 ghz. So is the extra cashe better or the freq.? Thanks

Let me just say, I'm not an expert, but the idea with Amd's chips is that the 2800 is equivalent to a Pentium 2.8Ghz, and an athalon 2700 is equivalent to a Pentium 2.7Ghz.

The clock speed is a little higher on the 2700, but I'd have to say the 2800 is better. Plus it has a bigger cache. I'd have to say they'd be pretty close, though.

----------------

On 2/25/2005 1:23:10 PM Colin wrote:

yeah, but how much andt what cost? need some sport of whetsone speed test or indicator, and if you don't have enough RAM, it won't matter as much, get the slower speed chip with more RAM if it is cheaper....

----------------

Well, you're talking about $5-10 more for the newer Processor, so I don't think that's an issue. RAM on the other hand, is quite a bit more expensive.