BLO finishes

Coytee

Probably a dumb question but...

For speakers (Khorns) finished with BLO, are they stained FIRST, and then oiled, or is the BLO itself the one and only finish?

The reason I ask is I've been rattling around some ideas on finishing some things that are NOT Klipsch, and was just trying to figure out the above.

Example... would BLO be a good finish for a solid oak handrail up a stairwell? Should I stain it first, or just stay with blo? Should I NOT use BLO for the handrail for any (currently unknown to me) reason?

1.gif

HDBRbuilder said: Once you use tung oil, you no longer will use Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO), because tung oil is a finish in and of itself. BLO is what is used on the factory oil finishes to replenish the wood. There is a big difference in tung oil and what is used for the factory oil finishes. Tung oil is more akin to a varnish type of finish, and once applied it is not supposed to be re-oiled at all. Tung oil is actually supposed to be applied to clean surfaces with no more than a stain already applied to them.

A word to the wise here: There is a possibility of tung oil finishes appearing to adhere well initially to a previously applied BLO-based finish, but over time the tung oil finish MAY loosen from the surface as the BLO weeps out of the wood grain...the same goes for applications of lacquers or urethanes and such to previously-applied hand-rubbed oil finishes using BLO as the base. In order to ensure tung oil finish adherence to surfaces with previously-applied-BLO based

finishes, it is WISE to thoroughly clean the BLO finish from the wood using acetone or something of that nature, BEFORE using the tung oil finish.

Remember, just because something is labeled an "OIL" finish does NOT mean it is completely compatible with other types of oil finishes previously used on wood surfaces.

10.gif

I've been wondering whether I should use BLO, or something else on my Klipsch speakers. To my knowledge there has never been a statement from the factory on the exact formulation of what they use. "Oiled" describes a lot of wipe on products.

One suspicion is that the factory does indeed use a BLO based product. However, these are potentially dangerous because of spontaneous cumbustion or fumes, so they are not going to recommend the stuff for home use. Thus we are left in the dark by the factory.

Looking around, I don't see any publication saying that straight BLO is a good finish. If put on too thick it gets gummy. It is not as durable as more sophisticated wipe-on materials.

Going back to the original subject of oak handrails, certainly such woodwork is going to need the most durable of finishes. BLO does not qualify in that respect. I've used wipe-on polyurethane. Wipe-on finishes take more applications than brush-on to build up a protective surface. On the other hand, you can avoid brush strokes, drips and sags.

Gil