Cornwall's finally! 22 Hour road trip to "The Big Easy"

BS Button

After 22 years of waiting, the CWL's are hooked up and performing admireably. Unbelievably good condition. All original. I was the Bozo that took these off of Audiogon, in case anybody was wondering. The long drive was well worth it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The only issue that I may have is that they appear to be thirsty and I had to remove some standard wall paint from a few areas with Acetone. Should I use BLO? Tung Oil? Remove the varnish with Acetone? Good greif!, sharp corners abound, not hardly a nick anywhere. Already replaced the velcro...Jump in, this is my first post!

I will post picture's shortly. 3.gif

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man how freaky. I just got back from a road trip to pick up some Corns from Mineral Bluff Georgia. This was an elderlay man in the mountains who bought them 20 years ago. He used to be a inventer of puzzles for children. it was worth the trip just to meet this guy.

The Corns are cool. Bigger than I had imagined. They definately need some dampening and crossover work

jc

Bsbutton,

Congrats on the Cornwall. I love mine.

Before doing anything to seal the dry veneer when nothing will then soak in, use a Scotchbright pad and a 1:3:5 mixture of minwax stain, turpentine, and BLO, respectively. Do one side at a time. Lay the Cornwall on its sides as needed. Let sit 10 minutes then buff with a nice big bath towel. Let the finished cabinets sit 24 hours before handling as fingerprints will tend to mar the new finish.

I have used this technique on a number of dry veneer Klipsch (and others) cabinets and the results are spectacular - and I am VERY picky. I tried plain BLO once and found the results marginal at best. Do not use tung oil. Do not use oil finish unless your cabinets are oil finished (make sure they are not lacquer).

When my brother got his Cornwalls they were old and dried out looking, but had excellent corners. Before putting any furniture polish or anything to seal the veneer, we used the forementioned technique and they looked fabulous - almost like oiled rosewood. The cabinets had deep, rich even finish that I cannot imagine does not look better than when they left the factory. Perfect.

The excess crap on your cabinets should come off when you use the Scotchbright pad and the stain/turp/blo mixture as the pad and the turpentine cut pretty well.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy,

Some yellowish looking material was removed with the acetone, so this had to be the lacquer, correct?

I should then remove the lacquer with Acetone and then apply your recommended treatment. I seem to be

attracted to your way because of the non-use of steel wool and or sand-paper. There was some thread that I read

a while back where somebody published a information on a very fine white Scotchbrite product? You know what it is,

exactly?

Todd

hey BS, gotta love that moniker. you've been doing your studies, haven't you?

Congrats on the Cw's I just got my second set, which was a flight to Miami, and 1300 mile road trip home. Pix posted in General under 'trip to Colter's'

You're gonna love em, do a SEARCH as Glossary for a list of most common Cornwall modifications, but just enjoy em for now. They are big sweaty beasts, yes?

Rock ON

Michael

Man, this is the weirdest post I have ever read. I'm from Starkville MS and the first Klipsch I ever heard was at Ideal Acoustics. Are they still open? My freind and I used to go there when I was a kid. I also went to Mississippi State University...So did my sister and Parents.

I used to Hate playing Tupelo in Football. They were probably our worst rival.

Did you ever buy from Ideal Acoustics?

jc

Holy B&^%$,sh!T. No way, you're kidding. Remember the old professor at Ideal who new PWK personally? Remember listening to the 1812 oveture on

K-horns, or anything else for that matter?

Yes, I've purchased from them twice. Both times Klipsch, sold both pair of those Heresy's (I know where both pair are) always desiring the Cornwall's.

I'm not !&*$#@ you. Man. I'm a big MSU fan. I live in Georgia now.

A buddy of mine in my frat did the deal with Ideal Acoustice where you could bring in your Klipsch w/in one year of purchase and get a full refund credit on a more expensive pair. He finally got a pair of La Scalas.

I don't remember anyone in the store. I had no monwy back then and I'm sure they could tell. This didn't keep me from going in though.

My CW1's are cool. They need some moddin'. My scalas with the ALK's sound way better than these right now. I bet if I dampen the horns and fix the crossovers, it would be a tough match.

jc

----------------

On 2/23/2005 11:12:53 PM bsbutton wrote:

I'm scared...what this might produce. Listening to Klipsch always makes we want to buy something...

OK, you talked me into it.

----------------

9.gif

you're doomed!

you have a private message (since you're new to the forum... welcome, btw... go to 'my profile' at the top of the screen.. and you'll see the area for messages there.

forrest