What is this $6,500 Khorn look-alike?

DizRotus

Someones asking $6,500 for these vintage EV speakers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3284&item=5754223288&rd=1

Does anyone know if this is horn loaded? Although it has a shape similar to Khorns, it doesnt appear to have the same bass bin. My interest is purely academic. If I had $6,500 to spend on audio I could think of many things Id sooner acquire.

The one time I met and spoke with PWK he mentioned that Klipsch had licensed its patents to Electro Voice (and possibly others), but that the experiment did not last long, due to Klipschs inability to control the other fabricators quality. He also stated that was why he never seriously considered manufacturing kits.

That was all after Id confessed to using four Speakerlab SK-Horns powered by a Dyna ST-400 in a mobile DJ business. He said that it was better I subjected the imitations, rather than real Khorns, to such abuse.

This guy is being awfully optimistic - especially when Klipschorns are going for half that or less.

You remember correctly. PWK even sent engineers to EV to help them get the details down properly (you can guess how that went over with EV's own staffers) but he claimed they never could get it quite right.

I've had the chance to get "up close and personal" with some old EV horns and was pretty disappointed at the level of workmanship once I got inside the cabinet.

When PWK was telling me about the failed EV licensing experiment, in mid sentence he said, Do you know what a Patrician is? Before I could reply that it was an EV speaker, he said, A guy who steps out of the shower to take a leak.

He was something to behold. His legacy lives.

Horns of plenty, a few more pages from the past below. A number have stood on PWK's shoulders to come out with their own version of the corner horn. Check out the variety of enclosures from the Utopia Instruments site, Japan's largest custom manufacturer of horn cabinets (this text has been translated, if you want the pop out images to work refer to the original page). The Hartsfield seems to be one of the more intriguing versions, while it was in production its performance became legendary, but it was short-lived. Of course, the Klipschorn lives on. . Funny line from PWK.

EV11.jpg

EV22.jpg

EV3.jpg

Thanks for posting the interesting EV literature.

So these "Cardinal IVs" are similar to Georgians, but they are not mentioned in the posted EV literature.

Would it be correct to assume that the cabinet doors on the front of the Georgian bass bin are a purely cosmetic attempt to disguise the large enclosures? The violin-like openings would defeat the operation of the bass horn.

The Cardinal IV appears to be more like a Khorn than the Georgian. The violin-like openings (they must have a real name that's unkown to me) on the Cardinal IVs must be purely decorative, for the same reason. The picture that shows the woofer makes it appear that the interior surfaces of the bass bin are finished. It's not clear from the description or the photos whether they are 3-way or 4-way.

Has anyone seen, or better heard, EV Georgians or Cardinal IVs? They probably sound pretty good, but anyone who would pony up this kind of dough is buying antique furniture as much as speakers.