Marantz SR19 vs Kenwood Sovereign 5090...the quest continues

speedbump

Hello all,

Well, my father in law was given some el-cheapo JBL speakers and wanted surround sound......so I gave him my old pro-logic RV-901 Yamaha and set about the task of finding a replacement.

As it turns out, I picked up two receivers to audition. I ruled the Denon 3801 out after a head to head comparo with the new Kenwood Sovereign 5090. The midrange on the Kenwood blew the Denon away when audtioned on a pair of KLF-20's. The Kenwood also has an incredible array of features and an internal line doubler for the HDTV (it seems Kenwood has teamed up with Faroudja for their new line of AV equipment) They had a Denon 4800 there, but wanted a bit much for a dicontinued model, and it seemed to have the same issues in the mids as the 3801 (not nearly as noticeable however).

I then drove across town and auditioned the Marantz SR-19 with a set of RF-7's...Smile.gifSmile.gifSmile.gifSmile.gif and again Smile.gifSmile.gifSmile.gif

My first reaction was to tell the salesman to turn off all of the subs and level the tone controls.....he then proceeded to tell me that there was no sub in the setup and that the tone controls WERE flat. The RF-7's are VERY GOOD!!! Good Job BobG and crew.

Needless to say, I loaded the SR-19 up to take home to my Chorus I's. I will be demoing both the new Kenwood and the Marantz in house over the next couple of days.

Besides bragging a bit, I wanted everyone's input on these two receivers. Anyone else ever heard the Sovereign? Are there any known issues with either of these units? Am I paying too much (1100 for the Sovereign, 1400 for the SR-19) ??

Thanks in advance for any input. HornEd and SteveP, please work your magic so my buyer's panic subsides. This is a big step up for me amplification wise, so I want to be VERY sure. I know my ears will show me the path, but my wallet always screams when the important stuff gets replaced.....;P

Erik

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

Klipsch Heresy I Surrounds

Mitsubishi WS-55807 55" HDTV

Playstation 2 for games/DVD

This message has been edited by speedbump on 08-21-2001 at 07:57 AM

Have you looked at the Marantz 7200? I demoed it and the Denon 3802 together and liked it better, hands down. Also it will run you about half of what you are currently looking at (probably could haggle down to <$700) Best online price I've seen is $629 at sounddistributors.com. I really liked this unit and if you do a little demo of the two side by side, you might wind up saving a lot of $$! Also, since I can't demo Marantz and the RF7's together in my town, how amazing did they sound? Did you listen to mainly music or movies? How did the music sound (Marantz's strongest feature)? As far as Marantz discussions Boa and I have been talking back and forth on the board and you should check some of those posts for more info. Sorry I don't know too much about the Kenwood model.

Juan

This message has been edited by JuHorvath on 08-20-2001 at 11:36 AM

Erik, I auditioned Marantz, Denon, Yamaha and Rotel and the Marantz sounded the best to me. I own the Marantz SR-8000 and auditioned the SR-19 but was a little too pricey for me. Marantz, IMO, provides the best 2CH sound as that is their focus, although the DD and DTS modes are awesome also. I never was a big fan of 5ch stereo but now I often use this mode for entertaining and just background listening and love it.

Very warm, tube-like sound with all the added features of a A/V receiver. The masses prefer Denon and Yamaha but I personally found the Yamaha too bright with Klipsch and the Denon (3300 at the time) had some QC issues--fan noise and overheating.

You will not be disappointed with the Marantz but let your ears decide.

Good Luck.

Brett

------------------

My system(s):

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7 (2)

KSP-S6's

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Audioquest interconnects

Niles SPS-4 speaker switch box

Niles wall plates

Niles in-wall volume controls

Marantz SR-8000

Toshiba SD-4205 5 DVD changer

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35" TV

Mitsubishi VCR

Pioneer VSX-608 Multi-room amp for Outdoor deck

Polk All-weather AW2's deck speakers

Panamax DBS-8 Surge Protector

Klipsch IC-525's in Master Bath

13" Sony Wega in Master Bath

1 Lava Lamp for Ambience

Fridge full of beer and plenty of Don Julio, Jagermeister and Jim Beam

word on the street is those kenwood sovereign are a major improvement from their past weak consumer offerings. could this be a kenwood revival for which i've waited over 25 yrs since my purchase of a kenwood kr-9600 in 1975? Biggrin.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect/Monster MCX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX-1 Biwire

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

Ok, here's the lowdown and dirty after the first night's audition.

The Marantz was first up. The most immediate thing I noticed was how it tamed the SSSSSSS I was used to in the cymbals and vocals with my old Yamaha. The Chorus I's bottom end also came to life, which relieved me to no end after the experience I had with the RF-7's (my wife was a bit worried as well when she heard them, sensing another large speaker purchase). The bass was no longer just there, but really in my chest (and the walls, windows, neighbors windows) Smile.gif To put it mildly, I have never been in possession of an amplifier or receiver of this caliber. The remote is pretty intuitive, as are the controls on the front panel. I found most of the items I wanted in fairly short order. But I knew I liked the SR-19 before I bought it....so on to the "K" Sovereign (my wife won't say Kenwood, only K, such is their reputation in this household).

My first impression of the Kenwood was that it was much lighter than the SR-19, but I did sort of expect that because of the difference in output power (85x5 into 6 ohms for the K, 120x5 into 8 for the SR-19). The rear panel was a bit confusing at first, but sorted itself out nicely once I got my bearings. One big difference between the two was the quality of the binding posts on the back. The Marantz has big manly binding posts, suitable for jumper cables. The Kenwood's are much smaller, but just as functional for those with small fingers and smaller wires. Once the speaker wires were crammed in, it was time to fire it up.

The Kenwood performed admirably in 2 channel mode, with just a bit brighter top end, and a more reserved midrange than the Marantz. The low end was where the Kenwood really stood out in my mind. Very punchy stuff to be sure!! It wasn't quite up to par with the Marantz across the board in 2 ch, but we have to remember that this item retails for 300-500 bucks less, and is rated 45wpc lower. After auditioning the Kenwood with the same CD's as the Marantz, it was off to the movies.

The Kenwood has a ton of cool stuff packed into the box. I already mentioned the line doubler that s built in. I won't quote specs, but the Kenwood has a TON of audio/video inputs, (along with 7 toslink and 7 digital coax inputs) and if one spent a little more time with the unit, I'm sure you could run all of your stuff from one remote. The line doubler didn't really do much for the picture on my TV, but it has an internal line doubler as well, which probably kept me from seeing what improvements the Kenwood made.

*whew this is getting too long* Smile.gif

quick wrap up. The Kenwood is still hooked up since I want to give it a fair chance. I am leaning a bit toward the SR-19 because it just looks, feels and sounds a little better to me so far. The Kenwood has put in a very respectable showing, and I have a lot more features to explore before making a decision. I will say that some of you guys looking for receivers might wanna give these new K Sovereigns a listen. Not at all what I expected.

Sorry for the short story, more to come......

Speed

cwm13.gifcwm13.gif

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

This message has been edited by speedbump on 08-20-2001 at 11:55 PM

Just some additional observations.

The Kenwood unit has quite a few DSP modes that I will never use like church, pasture, roller coaster...etcetera j/k (much like my old Yamaha). It also has Dolby Pro-Logic II, Neo 6, and a few other useful surround modes on top of the typical DD, DTS, Pro Logic setup. It is definitely built with future technology and purchases in mind. The remote is not nearly as nice as the Marantz, but it is UHF/Infrared so you don't have to point directly at the unit, and it looks to have plenty of capability.

The Marantz has a lot fewer surround modes, but I find them all useful. I really appreciate the simplicity and focus with which the unit was built. The user interface is much less cluttered than that of the Kenwood. I still can't say enough about the quality of the 2 channel sound reproduction......absolutely breathtaking. It would be interesting to compare the top of the line Kenwood that puts out 120wpc against the Marantz, as I think a lot of the difference is in the dynamic output of the two units.

Kind of wishing the SR-19 had some of the extra features of the Kenwood. Maybe I should look for the SR-19EX, or give the bigger K Sovereign a listen??

Speed

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

This message has been edited by speedbump on 08-21-2001 at 11:37 AM

The Marantz SR19EX without a doubt in my mi9nd...... Kenwood????? Please tell me your confused?!!!

Better off with Denon, Marantz, Integra,and even Yamaha (everytime I say it, I hear Kawasakeeeeezzzz in the background) but Kenwood sucks! I have attach a pic with a Kenwood 6 pac and Kenwood tape(92)....HISTORY!!!! Pioneer is even better!

The 19EX is in a class by itself...why...because it has almost "ALL" the features of the Big Boys..(6.1 and 7.1, etc etc) and only 15 watts less than the SR18EX. Why the SR14EX is over 5K(cdn) I'm lost thinking about. The Integra 9.1 is nice, and Denon's. That "bike" I mentioned before... sorry, just never caught on if it wasn't a "hog"!

I own the 18EX and wish the 19EX was out then(SR19 only), it's 1/2 the cost!!

Oiled Oak Klipschorns(93, f)

Klipsch La Scala's(00, rs)

Oiled Oak Klipsch Hersey II's(01, s)

2-black KLFC7's(00, c, rc)

Adcom ACE-515 Enhancer

Marantz 6200 turntable(76)

Marantz SR18EX A\V Receiver

3-Marantz MA700 mono block amps(Khorns and C7 rc)

Marantz DV7100 Progressive Scan DVD

Marantz VM5100 S-VHS hifi vcr

Marantz CD4050 dual casette tape

Marantz DR4160 3 disk carousel and single tray CDR

Toshiba 50HX70 HDTV(soon TW50H80!)

DVDO Iscan V2(line doubler)

ALL Monster cables.......................

I like Marantz Smile.gif

PS...GET THE SR19EX....TRUST ME!

forgot the pic...the Kenwood stuff is top end, of course went to the "ex" in the divorce, but got my Hersey II's...*UGH** The amps are the Adcom Limited Edition GFA-585 and GFA-535(Hersey"s). The Receiver is a Pioneer VSX-9900S(92).

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 09-08-2001 at 04:54 PM

Well, I made my decision tonight. I am taking both units back, as I found the SR-19EX for 1399 plus shipping from Baltimore brand new in the box with full factory warranty. This is less than I have in the SR19 "non" EX. This seems to be an excellent price for this unit since refurbs go for around 1500. I know I made the right choice.

The Kenwood could not win out over my predjudices, but it is NOT the Kenwood Crap we are all used to. There is definitely something going on over at Kenwood. Watch out for their new DVD player due out this month that was developed in partnership with Faroudja....It is supposed to be a giant killer.

Hey Boomer...how do you like that DV7100??

Speed

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

Speed, works great! Awesome machine(no need for the line doubler I have, sat dish and just SVHS signal now). I traded up from the DV3100, smart choice, BIG difference visually Smile.gif

Nice choice on the A\V Receiver....enjoy, you have a A\V Receiver that "won't" be obsolete any "year" soon....*cheers*

To add, (Boa12), my time with Kenwood, short lived as it may be, It was not impressive, in respect I'm not Kenwood bashing...BOSE.....wellllllll?????!!!!!! Smile.gif

I wish my Kenwood experience was as good as the Pioneer one I had, even at that time frame....Then again, I asked what all the hype is over B&W....still wondering!

I keep forgetting, my khorns are "92", I will get that right someday... OH YES....I will.....

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 08-25-2001 at 11:23 PM