Would the Monster Kit 4.1 work on a 4.2 system?

Sergio17

The Monster 4.1 kit consist of 4 speaker cables - two for the front and two for the back. So, as long as you currently have 4 speaker cables for your 4.2, then the 4.1 kit should fit. However, I do recommend that you talk with Klipsch before you order - just in case...

As for what difference it will make, my own personal view is anything thicker than the dental floss that is used for speaker cable will be an improvement. Now, if that improvement is worth your hard earned money, that's a different matter.

I did the mod where I bought 3.5 mini plug-ins and bought some 16-Gauge wire and redid my 4.2 setup. The wire was like $20-$25 for 100' feet of digital-100% oxygen free copper from RCA. I found it to be the cheapest at a home depot. The plugs i picked up at radio shack for like $2-3 a piece. I can honestly say the sound improved considerably. Heck even my wife noticed it. For the ends that plug into the speaker terminals on the sub i bought some of those copper pins u put on the wire ends. Looks nice and probably better sound through them. Those were like $5-6.

I mounted them ear level on the walls using the homemade speaker mounts. I just bought some flat steel 1" wide about 3/16" thick for about $3 for a 3' length and bent them to the angle i wanted speakers at. Drilled the end out used a bolt with dual nuts and a washer to put on the speakers and tighten'em a tad to keep them angled correctly. The wires i ran though the wall and and out behind and under the mounts and up into the speaker. It looks really classy.

• Like 1

----------------

On 2/28/2005 5:34:40 PM I26 wrote:

I did the mod where I bought 3.5 mini plug-ins and bought some 16-Gauge wire and redid my 4.2 setup. The wire was like $20-$25 for 100' feet of digital-100% oxygen free copper from RCA. I found it to be the cheapest at a home depot. The plugs i picked up at radio shack for like $2-3 a piece. I can honestly say the sound improved considerably. Heck even my wife noticed it. For the ends that plug into the speaker terminals on the sub i bought some of those copper pins u put on the wire ends. Looks nice and probably better sound through them. Those were like $5-6.

I mounted them ear level on the walls using the homemade speaker mounts. I just bought some flat steel 1" wide about 3/16" thick for about $3 for a 3' length and bent them to the angle i wanted speakers at. Drilled the end out used a bolt with dual nuts and a washer to put on the speakers and tighten'em a tad to keep them angled correctly. The wires i ran though the wall and and out behind and under the mounts and up into the speaker. It looks really classy.
----------------

That sounds really cool, but I'm pretty sure I'm too much of a n00b to do that. :(

Copper Pins? You mean for plugging into the sub? I got some monster cable ones at home depot but u can get similar at radio shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=278-310

I also got the 3.5 plugs at radio shack and a soldering iron. It was a pain in the but to do. I suck at doing it. I wasted 3 plugs but they r cheap. Also don't go huge on your wire as the sleeve will not fit onto the back of the plug since the cable will be to fat. I used 16 gauge and it was probably the limit. Good Luck. If you want pics let me know.

• Like 1

"placebo"? If you mean placement, i tend to disagree. The speakers were already in the same location except they were sitting on a shelf not hanging off the wall. Trust me or don't trust me, but the sound improved.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Sorry to give you the bad news but about 98% of the difference you hear is all placebo...

It's always hard to tell when making audio adjustments like this. I

once tweaked something in my home theater setup (can't remember what

now), sat back, and was thrilled to hear the improvement in sound. It

was very noticable and I was very happy at the improvement at next to

no cost. I went back to look at my setup and discovered that I hadn't

actually made the tweak I thought I was making. In other words -

I was listening to the EXACT same setup. The only

change was in my mind. After that I tend to look for some sort of

objective way to measure my tweaks :)

As for heavier gauge speaker wire, however, it is pretty much accepted

in the audio world that if you're running speaker wire at length - and

the wire for the rear sats especially is pretty long - you're better

off with heavier gauge wire for less interferance. (I definitely

wouldn't pay for a high end brand like Monster though - just get

something cheap from Radioshack or Home Depot.)

I definitely want to swap in some heavier gauge wire - can anyone give me some step-by-step advice on how to do this?