Another Scammer

Customer feedback is key. Asking questions is also important. I have sold and bought many items on ebay and have never been burned. I was unable to sell a Lexicon MC12 (did sell it via Audiogon) as the scammers were out in force. I had one guy do a $7000 buy it now. He had signed up that morning with a fake name, address and phone number in Minnesota. Wanted me to ship to some very weird sounding name in Brooklyn. Hmmm... When I asked him to Paypal me the dough, he disappeared. I was out almost $150 in reserve fees, etc. Fortunately, Ebay credited me those and I relisted. Same type of stuff. Weird emails from Singapore, offers to buy it via fake escrow services, etc. I gave up and listed it on Audiogon.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always liked the person to person transactions on ebay. It's based on honor and trust and I always felt reassured that most people are fair and honest. I've scored great deals on very hard to find things. I was restoring a motorcyle last year and I could not have found the NOS OEM parts without ebay. I even dealt with a great guy in Tasmania that had a treasure trove of parts - he sent me way more than I paid for. I don't think that connection could've happened without ebay.

I've become somewhat jaded lately with ebay too, but I wouldn't dismiss it either. This little episode worked out well because people felt like part of a community and took action. I think that that concept of an "ebay community" is a real and positive social force. Someone might have lost thousands of dollars if it weren't for the attention of klipschaholic and shuff and maybe others that also reported this scam. I still think that there is way way more good than bad out there.

Great! And according to the original seller who left me a response to my comments on his system;

Thanks! Yes, it is an awesome system and I hate to see it go! It is being delivered to the winner on Friday and he got a steal of a deal - lucky guy!

Thanks again,

Starsky10

A happy ending