Replacing Dead Heresy II Squawker

tonygeno

In the worst case, you need to replace the diaphragm. They show up on eBay now and then, but should also be available from Klipsch. I guess the first thing you need to determine is if the driver is really bad, or it is a connection or crossover(unlikely) problem. Swapping it with the one in the other working speaker is probably a good start. If you remove the old diaphragm, and the voice coil is still that nice copper color, there may be hope to get it to work again.

(looks like I was a little bit slow with my typing!)

Well, I disconnected the wires to the squawker and hooked it up directly to my amp at low volume using white noise, and low and behold the squawker plays. When I reattach to the crossover, it doesn't play. Any ideas as to what's up with this speaker?

you have to take the woofer out. once it's out you can disconnect the wires and unscrew the driver from the back of the horn. Don't price the driver or the diaphragm from Klipsch, you'll faint. Bob Crites (forumname is BEC) gives a much better deal. he'll also replace it for you if you're not comfortable with the minor soldering and whatnot needed. He goes by bobcrites on ebay, usually has one or two on there.

you might be able to solder that, give it a try. if you can't, bend it around so you can read the values printed on it, get a new one. there's lots of places to get then, like www.partsexpress.com. you don't want to replace it with a cheap POS from ratshack or somewhere, you need a decent cap similar to it.

There's a guy DeanG who posts here alot, he offers the service of rebuilding/upgrading the crossovers. many users report marked improvement in sound quality. That would pretty much eliminate further questions about the crossovers.

----------------

On 3/1/2005 10:28:45 PM jerohm wrote:

IF this is correct, it looks like they are all 1.5uF. Do all three have the same printing?

(The cylindrical one should be the 68uF.)

----------------

Yes they do. The cylindrical one is 68uf.