Circa 1672

No vacuum tubes without first this cool Fonz thing.....

NOS2.jpg

C&S

Really Big Overview

1883:

Thomas Edison accidentally discovers what comes to be known as the "Edison effect" while trying to find a way to keep the inside of his electric lights free of soot.  While experimenting with the incandescent bulb, Edison placed a metal plate inside the evacuated bulb and connected a wire to it creating, in effect, a vacuum diode!  He noted a curious unidirectional or "one-way" flow of electrical current from the light emitting hot filament across the vacuum to the metal wire. This phenomenon defied immediate explanation by the inventor as well as his contemporaries.  Unfortunately, he did not realize the implications - or did not take time to pursue them because of other interests at the time. The current flow is due to the thermionic emission of electrons from the hot electrode flowing to the cold electrode. The Edison effect is the basis of all the vacuum tube devices, and, thus, the foundation of the electronics industry in the early 20th century.

post-8419-13819262123892_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 3/2/2005 10:07:03 AM seti wrote:

Ancient egytian tube technology was way ahead of it's time. You have to wonder what they were really building. Perhaps it was the first SET......

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/ancientNOS.JPG">

----------------

Looks like they were into the high end cables as well......

c7s

----------------

On 3/2/2005 11:19:54 AM fini wrote:

Clipped,

I like how with the Fonzie machine, they still use a feather duster with the vacuum.

----------------

It wasn't until my uncle Morty discovered it in 1959 that you actually could clean dust off the vacuum with the vacuum itself. Seems like nothing today, but then it was a radical idea. This is the way history is. Just think, if Edison hadn't been trying to keep soot off of his thing, we wouldn't be enjoying the sound of tubes today. So we owe it all to Tom's mom.

C&S

----------------

On 3/2/2005 12:07:13 PM maxg wrote:

The Egyptians weren't proper audiophiles - look - their cables are on the floor
6.gif

----------------

Oh dear I'll climb in my wayback machine and lecture them...

This is yet another thing i have yet to understand. My cables don't touch the floor but thats not on purpose it just worked out that way. I certainly would not have bought ceramic risers. Is there anything to keeping cables off the floor or is this just another way to sell another product? Can you hear a differance?

----------------

On 3/2/2005 10:07:03 AM seti wrote:

Ancient egytian tube technology was way ahead of it's time. You have to wonder what they were really building. Perhaps it was the first SET......

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/ancientNOS.JPG">

----------------

Hey, that looks like the 1st batch of snake oil being extracted. I can only imagine what that's worth on today's

market. 9.gif

----------------

On 3/2/2005 12:13:35 PM seti wrote:

----------------

On 3/2/2005 12:07:13 PM maxg wrote:

The Egyptians weren't proper audiophiles - look - their cables are on the floor
6.gif

----------------

Oh dear I'll climb in my wayback machine and lecture them...

This is yet another thing i have yet to understand. My cables don't touch the floor but thats not on purpose it just worked out that way. I certainly would not have bought ceramic risers. Is there anything to keeping cables off the floor or is this just another way to sell another product? Can you hear a differance?

----------------

Of course I can - depending on the dialectic of the wire in question, the materials the floor is made of, the music being played, the ambient noise during listening, my state of mind, the price of the cables, the price of the risers chosen, the air pressure, the average temperature over the last 30 days in a surrounding 50 yard area, the humidity....oh hell

I dont know - I never tried them! I dont think I would know what to be listening out for. My cables are coiled on the floor in a heap because I have this religious aversion to buying less than 3 meters per side (I like to move speakers around from time to time).

Nice find Fini,

Ah yes - slaying the Medussa...

Of course in those days snake Oil was a necessary hair treatment for some...

I am still wondering what that Egyptian picture is about - I mean really - not the 300B version.