Physical Dimensions of new RSW subs?

bacevedo

I am getting ready to build a new media niche for my home theater system. I am going to have an alocove for the sub built and need to know how big the new RSW subs are. I currently have the KSW 12, and will make the niche big enough for that sub. However, I will most likely upgrade to an RSW 12 (maybe an RSW 15 if there is a huge difference) when they come out. I want to make sure that my niche will be big enough for it. Does anyone know about how high, wide and deep these subs are? And how much space around it, it will need. I think it is a sealed enclosure, which helps out, since I don't have to worry about a port up against a wall.

Can anyone help me? Klipsch, can you at least help out with the approximate dimensions? If you are really feeling generous can you tell me about when they will be out? I would love to see some specs on this thing(like how low does it go, how many db's, etc.) cwm30.gif

Thanks,

Bryan

Could you at least tell me if I make the niche big enough for the KSW 12, will the RSW 12 fit there as well? Or do I have to wait to build this niche until September 10th?

Thanks at least for a date! Now we know.

But one thing I find odd is that my local dealer has an ad that displays the RSW 10 as new, and selling for $999. How can they list it as for sale if they aren't even out yet? Did they just anticipate a little too early?

Bryan

Due to printing deadlines, we had to give preliminary information out for buyer's guides and dealer catalogs or not be in them at all. We chose to go for the former and at least get the word out about the new stuff.

BTW, if you build your enclosure to only fit a KSW-12 then it will be too small for the RSW-12. Also, don't plan on backing an RSW up against a wall. It will need room to breathe.

Jim

Thanks!

I think I will just wait a few weeks until they are released. An RSW 10 might do me fine as well. I am assuming that an RSW 10 would probably whip a KSW 12.

Thanks for the info you gave me, even if I can't use it all! Smile.gif

I understand about the printing deadline - but I got this thing a few months ago in the mail! I started to get all excited thinking they were coming, and unfortunately had to wait! I have been looking at Velodyne recently, but wanted to see what these new Klipsch subs will do. I would rather have a Klipsch sub that matches the characteristics of my other reference speakers, but the KSW series can't even come close to a Velodyne SPL or HGS series. Hopefully these RSWs will change that! We will see!

This message has been edited by bacevedo on 08-21-2001 at 02:41 PM

• 3 weeks later...

OK - now that the RSW subs are out, I am going to revive this question and hope some of the knowledgable people here can answer it.

I will have a niche on the floor for my sub. It will have a wall on each side, behind and above it. The front will be open (covered with a grill cloth material).

The dimensions will be 20" X 20" X 28" (H x W x D).

So if I put an RSW 12 in there, it will have about 4 inches around it, plus about 5 inches behind it.

What will this do to the sound?

Will putting a sub in an enclosure like this compress the bass - kind of like putting a port too close to the wall? Will it make it boomy and one noteish? Will it help extend the frequency response? What good things or bad things will it do, and how bad will they be?

I am just trying to figure out what happens when you put a sub like the RSW 12 into a cut out like this.

My local stereo shop here has a whole bunch of these media niches with subs in enclosures like this, and it sounds pretty good. But I don't know if it could sound better in their environment if the sub was somewhere else.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

I would not put any sub that uses an active and passive driver(radiator)in any niche.Unless cut very low and the niche being very rigid(I mean built like the Norad command center)you dont want added vibrations(colorations).

And the Klipsch RSW subs have the active driver on the back!This means the niche would have to absorb the constant hammer drops.I know most furniture with niches are build from cheap particle board and add colorations big time.

Furthermore the RSW subs need room to really open up,alongside a wall should again prove the best solution.All my current subs are out of corners and along ONE wall.

If you would have a sealed design like a Velodyne HGS then you can place the sub in a niche.The sole active driver facing out.

TheEAR(s) Now theears