AK-3 xover question

If anything if you are looking to fiddle/tweak things replace the dual 50uf Aerovox caps in there with a single 100uf of higher quality. As Al said don't change the value it will affect the cutoff frequency and throw things out of balance.

Do not change the iron core 4mh coil though leave it alone.

Why would you want to disconnect one of the 50's?

I wouldn't replace the two 50uF's with a single 100uF. Because they are paralleled, the two 50uf's that are in there exhibit less loss than even a better quality 100uF cap would. If I were to do anything down there I would replace the stock inductor with an Erse steel laminate Super 'Q' inductor from PartsExpress -- UNLESS there is a steel laminate in there already (because Klipsch does use them).

"I wouldn't replace the two 50uF's with a single 100uF. Because they are paralleled, the two 50uf's that are in there exhibit less loss than even a better quality 100uF cap would.

Now you tell me, I replaced the two 70uf's (AK-2) in mine to a single 100uf Solen. I did not realize that they were two 70uf's in there until after I received the parts, that said I probably would have still ordered the single cap

The 4mh is the iron core variety.

Want to trade a couple of 100uf Solens for 4 50uf Auricaps or equivalent? Would it really make a significant difference in the woofer circuit?

Do you think upgrading the 4mh coil in there to the one you mention would be a worthwhile venture?

Want to trade a couple of 100uf Solens for 4 50uf Auricaps or equivalent?

What, trade $20 worth of caps for $225 worth of caps?! Man, you're shrewd!

Would it really make a significant difference in the woofer circuit?

No, it wouldn't. I was just trying to say that pulling the two 50's for a single higher quality 100 would be a waste of money. The two 50's already accomplish what the single higher quality cap would do. As far as receiving any benefits related to other positive attributes found from using higher quality caps -- the ear just doesn't seem to care about them in the bass. LF sections are much more sensitive to changes in DCR.

Do you think upgrading the 4mh coil in there to the one you mention would be a worthwhile venture?

If the stock inductor is a straight up iron core, yeah, I'd do it. What you have on the DHA networks I just sent you are Erse Super 'Q's.

The Solen's were actually about $54 apiece but I HAD to change mine since I had the AK-2 network that I was upgrading to AK-3 functionality. I was not serious about the swap since I knew the Auricaps weren't cheap. I also figured it was not as critical for the LF section of the network.

No the 4mh coils in the bass bin are the standard small square looking ones that almost look like an autoformer vs. a coil. I could probably just order the ones you are talking about from Parts Express - email me the part number if you don't mind for the 4mh. I pretty certain that is the value in there but I don't have an AK-3 schematic handy.

Lovemyhorns, I just noticed something you have '85 Khorns listed in your signature block and they don't have the AK-3 network in them, they have the AK-2 network in them most likely. That is if those are the speakers in question here.

The AK-3 was not used until '89-'90 if I am not mistaken, my '88's came with AK-2's.

Yes, I do have the AK-2 xovers, but considering changing them to AK-3's

I have already replaced the woofer coil with the Erse Super Q coils, I didn't notice much of a difference.

My question was just a thought on lowering the woofer shunt capacitance and the effect thereof.

All you need to change now to bring those AK-2's to AK-3's is change the capacitance in the woofer circuit from it's current 140uf to 100uf, change the midrange coil from a 4mh to a 5mh, and swap the T5A autoformer to the T4A autoformer and you are there!