check out this "array". interesting idea....

Scp53

This touches upon an idea I had for my Cornwall theater setup (in a different future dwelling). I have envisioned arranging my 3 rear Cornwalls in a semicircular pattern, so the horns disperse into the same area the speaker "arrays" cover. I have arranged my fronts in a similar fashion, but not as much concavity to the arc.

I don't have the room to do it in this dwelling, but I've played around a bit with this, and it could be very interesting if I had an appropriate room to work with. I have even considered the idea of elevating the rears and tilting them slightly forward - to simulate the "above and behind" arc the images show in your link. Jeff in Tx built a custom stand for his Cornwall center channel - that has me thinking of doing his type of stands to simulate this arc with three Cornwalls9.gif

colterphoto1, he doesnt use full range drivers but he does use some bass drivers on the bottom for the low end i think.

And can any one tell my exactly what comb filtering affect is? i hear them talk about it but i dont quite understand. thanks

scp53

http://www.prosoundweb.com/install/cpm/lobes/lobes.php

For a basic answer, comb filtering is when the frequency response has a pattern with many dips resembling that of a comb. It's most often seen as destructive interference caused by the physical location of drivers playing the same signal.

The only problem I have with the proposed design is the beaming effect that you will get. Every other array in the world uses a convex (or sometimes flat) shape for the array....not a concave one like this. The beaming effect will also limit the dispersion characteristics making it unsuitable for multiple listening locations. Oh right, he also needs to put the drivers as close as possible to each other (not spread out like in his diagram).

http://www.prosoundweb.com/lsi/tech/la/la.php

http://www.prosoundweb.com/lsi/tech/horiz.php

Nevertheless, it does look cool and is something I've thought about many times before (though I've thought of it as a complete circle of speakers for 5.1 playback).

minn_male42, i agree completely with you. im not a huge fan of this type of design. just thought it looked cool.

by the way, haveing that many klf's would be sweet. someday ill maybe get that. for now its just my klipsch bookshelfs.

scp53