5-disc transport?

KungFuNat

so im looking into upgrading to an outboard DAC for use with a 5-disc cd-changer with digital output. are there any cheap changers with good transports? ive been looking at denon, marantz, pioneer, and sony changers. any reccomendations? im completely OK with used also.. remember, this will be used only for a transport, so it must have digital output.

----------------

On 3/8/2005 12:07:17 PM NatGun wrote:

so im looking into upgrading to an outboard DAC for use with a 5-disc cd-changer with digital output. are there any cheap changers with good transports? ive been looking at denon, marantz, pioneer, and sony changers. any reccomendations? im completely OK with used also.. remember, this will be used only for a transport, so it must have digital output.

----------------

I just got off the phone (5 minutes ago) with Rory at Benchmark. He said that they have tested several lower priced players to use as transports and that the Panasonic S47 test very well as a digital transport. The S47, according to Rory, does not change the input to a measurable diffderence. They did not test the DAC's as there is no need to.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit? I was going to buy one.

Chris

a new sony NC685 DVD/CD/SACD 5 disc changer goes for about $150 brand new....

a side benefit - Abosolute Sound magazine just picked it as the best Hi-res disc player under $1000....

you could use your outboard DAC from the digital output and use the 6 channel (or 2 channel) analog outputs for SACD playback!

i have the prior model (NC650) and i am very pleased with it's performance..

I like my panasonic F87. It has some kind of digital output but also a built in dts decoder and dolby prologic II decoder. The prologic decoder sounds so much better than my Yamaha reciver's decoder (I get lots of distortion from the Yamaha on bass notes such as an organ). I think I paid about $89 on ebay. The sound output via analog outputs is reported to be decent also. No need for an outboard converter.