ALK Extreme Slope Network Review

Just received Al Ks Extreme Slope Network for the Belle Klipsch. Theyre not cheap! On the other hand, theyre worth every penny. I once had a pair of Quad ESL-63 electrostatic speakers. Those things were the absolute best at precise imaging. Every detail in the music was there. Trouble was they were terribly bass shy and the electronics was always giving me trouble so I sold them.

AL Ks Extreme Slope Network yields the nearest thing to the precise imaging and incredible detail I loved about the Quads without the headaches I had with the Quads. My Belles are now able to reproduce incredible detail even in complex musical passages which until now simply merged into loud noise. I hear subtleties I never heard before. Bass is well defined, tighter, stronger. Instruments seem to be right there in the room with you a sense of realism which makes you forget youre listening to recorded music. The sound stage is much expanded both in width and depth and the sweet spot much, much wider.

If youve been thinking about the Extreme Slope, my recommendation is DO IT NOW. You wont be sorry.

Mick

Mick,

Have fun with them!

It is about time more people on the forum start listening to these things... they are sweet. ;)

I assume you are using ES700s for the woofer/squawker but where are you crossing to the tweeter? Have you tried it as a two way?

Shawn

Hi Al,

"He has the ES700T + ES5800 crossovers. The tweeters are actually crossing over at around 5700 Hz."

Thanks for the info. Any reason you didn't go with the ES7500 you use in the your Belles? Is the ES7500 the highest you have?

BTW, congratulations for getting more of these networks into peoples systems.

Shawn

Hi Rick,

"those ES7500s and a pair of JBL2404s would sound good in your room."

I have a single 2404 just haven't felt the need to play with it yet. At some point I'll probably give it a whirl though JOOC.

"Add a little sizzle to your life!"

I can bring up the top end with a little EQ from the Lex when/if desired. I think right now I have it set at +1db or thereabouts.

Shawn

Rick:

Not to over do the Lexicon topic again, but it is really a flexible component. In addition to some useful EQ features, it also has a 'tilt' control that can also be used to balance out the frequency response, overall, in one direction or the other. I just also read an article in Audio Express about a vacuum tube variation on the 'tilt' theme. Before the Lexicon arrived, I honestly had never heard of it before. It's quite useful!

Shawn: A quick question when convenient: I think I may have lost a ground connection on one of the analog outputs on the Denon. You mentioned something like this being common with rough use on the Lexicon, as well as described a way of taking a ground from one of the other jacks. What sort of jumper is used for that, and how is it connected to the grounding barrel? I was using the anolog outputs to test a preamp I repaired, and found the connection intermittent and hum-inducing.

Thanks!

Erik

Erik,

" I think I may have lost a ground connection on one of the analog outputs on the Denon. "

You can check it with a multimeter easily. Just see if you have continuity between the grounds on each output or between the ground on the RCAs and chassis ground.

"You mentioned something like this being common with rough use on the Lexicon, as well as described a way of taking a ground from one of the other jacks. What sort of jumper is used for that, and how is it connected to the grounding barrel?"

It doesn't take much to work around it. Literally an alligator clip between the metal barrel on the broken RCAs and connect it to the chassis or to another RCA output that has a good ground connection. The other thing that can be done is if this is to a stereo amp (that shares a common ground... most do) put the channel with the bad ground connection into the amp and a channel with a good ground connection into the other channel on the amp. The amp will get the ground through the good connection and it should be fine.

Shawn

Shawn:

"t doesn't take much to work around it. Literally an alligator clip between the metal barrel on the broken RCAs and connect it to the chassis or to another RCA output that has a good ground connection."

I got them at Radio Shack this morning when we were out doing some chores. It works fine.

Thanks for your thoughts on that,

Erik