PC to receiver

merkin

Has anyone came up with an economical way to connect your PC to your receiver. I've rip a lot of my CD's to my hard drive and would like to play them over my sound system instead of the computer speakers. My PC is hardwired to a network and I have network conections at my receiver location. For now I'm using my TIVO series 2 wich will play them but this is analog. I'm loosing some sound quality this way. Also I would be able to make playlist on my computer to play in radom order which would be nice. I've read some methods but the computer output dosen't matchup with the receiver inputs.

For the best quality, I would recommend purchasing a sound card that has a digital output...you would then connect this digital output directly into your reciever.

Another alternative would be to use an 1/8" stereo y-adapter to stereo RCA:

4009.jpg

This method is certainly cheaper, but the DACs (digital to analog converter) on sound cards usually sound bad.

DrWho,

any idea why the volume is so low using my iMac with this cable arrangement? I have all the software and hardware on the iMac at full volume, but have to set my Yammie receiver to about half volume, when normally 1/4 will do for say tuner inputs? Is another preamp necessary?

Michael

Guest Anonymous

no, the 1/8th inch output on a soundcard is already "pre-amped" as stated before a stereo composite to 1/8th inch stereo is the best and cheapest way, if you have sensitive speakers ie klipsch adn have a cheap power supply in your computer you will get a hum in your speakers by doing this

----------------

On 3/9/2005 10:47:32 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

DrWho,

any idea why the volume is so low using my iMac with this cable arrangement? I have all the software and hardware on the iMac at full volume, but have to set my Yammie receiver to about half volume, when normally 1/4 will do for say tuner inputs? Is another preamp necessary?

Michael

----------------

That's just the nature of macs...all of their products sound like their volume is very low. I have no idea why they do this either (sounds like you find it as annoying as i do) 2.gif