'69 vs '89 KHorns

Flason

Having the oiled oak type "B"'s so close has me really thinking, so I need a little advice. Would the '89's with the AK-3 X-over( e-bay item # 5759998443) be a significant sonic improvement over my '69 "C"'s with a A X-over. I do like the look of the oak as well as the cabinet style of the '89's but am more interested in the function rather than the fashion. The Oak would also match my Cornwalls, Fortes, and CF1's, so you can see I am rather partial to oak.

VERY nice, really beautiful! Only needs to dust his wires 'n things.1.gif I don't know '69 vs. '89 sound, but note these differ in having the K-401 mid horns and surely a flush-mounted tweeter. It wouldn't have a woofer mounting board, but I don't know the effect of that with crossovers tailored accordingly. Mostly, they are so pretty and I personally am very partial to the B style.

Larry

If you are able to make the switch, do it. The AK-3 Klipschorn is better sounding and to me the B-style is much better looking then the C. If you keep yours, get rid of the woofer mounting board. That alone makes an improvement. You can also turn yours into the B-style with a little work.

Well, I went to see them today. The pics don't do them justice. They are in excellent condition though I would have thought they would at least dust them. They do have the brown "weave" (for lack of a better term) grills and the rear gasket looks like new. They are on consignment and although I offered $1600, it doesn't seem they will negotiate. They will get a hold of the owners today to check but I'm not holding my breath. At least I can take comfort knowing I gave it a shot and I still enjoy my 69's daily.