need someone to check box calculations?

Scp53

As has been noted, you have several issues:

A. Power

B. Speaker Excursion

C. Perceived clipping

D. Size of Speaker vs expectations

E. Hearing Ability

F. Getting too much information from too many places. The answers you have received here are. You seem to be checking them on another forum or a book. Pick one source.

The object of a speaker to reproduce sound is not just a matter of cone excursion. You will gain nothing by having the cone travel to its maximum excursion. There are specs - minimums, maximums, but they do not tell you what the sound will be.

CLIPPING: in clipping your amplifier is actually pushing distortion. A 10 watt amp at clipping at a single frequency can put out 80 - 100 watts.

You will notice certain frequencies will be sharp, will be as Dr Who noted.

Now you will hear and read about the need for power at low frequencies. What other equipment and what wattage as well as what music do you listen to?

Some bass guitar players snap their strings, sounds like clipping but it's not. So you have to examine what you are listening to.

In running a computer program on equipment, what parameters are you putting in. Computers and programs are not the human ear.

Example: If I were to sell my house, the program one Realtor ran, came back with a mortgage payment that would leave $20.00 per week for food for two.

10" to me is a nice woofer size in multiples. Your program will not always take your ear, hearing curve and other equipment into account.

If you have an inexpensive transistor radio tune to an FM station, start bringing the volume up. At a point in doing so, you will hit full distortion, back down to just not sounding right (love these technical terms), you are in the area of clipping.

But answer the questions asked and your questions can be answered to a better extent.

dodger

my sound seems to be a clack. it ONLY happens with peaks in the music. its not constantly clipping.

my equipment is sb3,rb25,yamaha rxv420, pioneer sx550, toshiba sd4900 dvd player. most of the time i just use analog rca connection for music.

what other questions do you have?

scp53

ps- i just picked up a Ascendant Atlas 15 driver to put in a 4cu. ft box sealed. however, im still interested in talking about this titanic. im thinking that ill use it for a car sub down the road or in a small music system(in a different cab config).

Sounds to me like you might have a misaligned voice coil...if you have a warranty, I'd go ahead and send it back and request a new one.

When pushing on the driver with your fingers, do you hear any scraping or scuffing sounds? The slightest bit of noise indicates a problem. Try pushing the diaphragm to the limits of the suspension (you'll have to push pretty hard).

----------------

On 3/18/2005 7:19:28 PM Scp53 wrote:

my sound seems to be a clack. it ONLY happens with peaks in the music

----------------

Is it outside of the frequency range being reproduced? As in a higher frequency than 80Hz clack?

Sounds more like you are bottoming (clank, crack, poink, etc...) your woofer than clipping your amp (breaking up, collapsed dynamics, compressed like a MP3, etc...). This would simply indicate you are expecting tooo much from your little 10"...

Rob

----------------

On 3/19/2005 2:07:04 PM Scp53 wrote:

im NOT bottoming the woofer. in HT i drive it farther and have NO sounds of any kind.

----------------

Which is why your problem makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

----------------

On 3/19/2005 2:07:04 PM Scp53 wrote:

im NOT bottoming the woofer.

----------------

Is the clack you heard outside of the frequency range being reproduced? I'm trying to figure out if it's a mechanical of harmonic noise.